Opinions on GIS as a career field?

In summary, GIS (Geographic Information Systems) is a growing field with a variety of job opportunities available. It involves using software packages like ArcGIS or QGIS to analyze and map geographical data for different industries such as retail, utilities, banking, and insurance. Coding skills, particularly in Python, are highly marketable in this field. There are websites such as GJC and AAG that have job listings for GIS positions. Overall, GIS offers the opportunity to work in a diverse range of industries and use spatial data to solve various problems.
aerohead_18
This isn't really science, or maybe kind of on the fringes of it, but recently I've been looking into GIS as a career and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I only recently started researching it so I'm still not very familiar with what kind of work a geographer could expect to do with GIS. Everywhere I look online seems to say that job opportunities are good right now and that growth is expected in the near future, but I'm still getting a feel for what these jobs are like.

Also, what skills would help with this field? I've read in a few places that coding (Python especially) is a highly marketable skill in GIS right now, but other than that it sounds like most of it is done on a handful of software packages, like ArcGIS or QGIS, that are used mostly to generate maps. Is that all there is to it, or is GIS broader than that?

Thanks for any insights!

Physics news on Phys.org
I found there's a website for jobs:

http://www.gjc.org/

You could review the job descriptions and see what they do.

I know a lot of GIS is related to other industries. As an example, retail GIS would analyze how people shop and where they live. This might help a company decide where to build a shopping center or new store. Similar problems exist in Utilities, Banking and Insurance industries. For these industries you might be searching for the optimal place for a new electrical substation or bank branch office or to estimate the fallout of a severe storm on your customer based on where they live.

Here's one such job description:

https://www.gisjobs.com/listing.php...Vy6rpuzUFOkTbvMp_b600OtZ1EFIfbc0z9fPsFyXhIEi3

and a link to the AAG:

http://www.aag.org/

and its job listings:

http://jobs.aag.org/?gclid=CjwKEAjw_6XIBRCisIGIrJeQ93oSJAA2cNtMZpQJD_HBcV4YAJRPENae0ILxNM3J3qYPMnxg71kycxoC_tLw_wcB

1. What does a career in GIS entail?

A career in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) involves collecting, analyzing, and visualizing geographic data to create maps and other spatial representations. This can include tasks such as data collection, database management, software development, and data analysis. GIS professionals typically work in a variety of industries, including government, environmental science, urban planning, and business.

2. What skills are required for a career in GIS?

GIS professionals must have a strong background in geography, cartography, and computer science. They should also have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in GIS software and database management. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other professionals and presenting findings to non-technical audiences.

3. What job opportunities are available in the GIS field?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available in the GIS field, including GIS analysts, cartographers, remote sensing technicians, GIS programmers, and GIS project managers. These roles can be found in various industries, such as government agencies, environmental consulting firms, and technology companies.

4. Is a degree in GIS required for a career in the field?

While a degree in GIS can be beneficial, it is not always required for a career in the field. Many employers look for candidates with a strong background in geography, computer science, or a related field. However, having a degree in GIS can provide valuable knowledge and skills that can give applicants an advantage in the job market.

5. What is the job outlook for GIS professionals?

The job outlook for GIS professionals is very positive. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the GIS field is projected to grow by 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increasing use of GIS technology in various industries and the growing demand for professionals who can analyze and interpret geographic data.