Optical Fibres: Spectral Width Calculation

In summary: Thank you so much for your help!In summary, the problem is to calculate the spectral width of light emitted by a pulsed laser operating at 850 nm wavelength, assuming three lasing modes separated by a frequency spacing of ##\Delta f = c/2nl##. By using the equation ##\frac{d\lambda}{df} = -\frac{c/n}{f^2}## and multiplying it by ##2\Delta f##, the spectral width ##\Delta \lambda## is calculated to be ##0.68 nm##, which is smaller than the initially estimated value of ##3 \times 10^{-4} m##. The mistake was made by assuming ##f = c/(n\
Master1022
Homework Statement
A pulsed GaAlAs laser operates at 850 nm wavelength. Under pulsed conditions there are several lasing modes present separated in frequency by ## \Delta f = c/2nl ## where typically ## l ## = 300 ## \micro m ## (the length of the laser cavity), and ##n## = 3.5 is the refractive index of the laser cavity. By assuming that three modes are lasing, calculate the spectral width ## \Delta \lambda## of the emitted light.
Relevant Equations
## v = f \lambda ##
Hi,

I was working on this problem that I think should be quite simple, but I cannot seem to get the correct answer.

Question:
A pulsed laser operates at 850 nm wavelength. Under pulsed conditions there are several lasing modes present separated in frequency by ## \Delta f = c/2nl ## where typically ## l ## = 300 ## \mu m ## (the length of the laser cavity), and ##n## = 3.5 is the refractive index of the laser cavity. By assuming that three modes are lasing, calculate the spectral width ## \Delta \lambda## of the emitted light.

Attempt:
Three modes means that there are two frequency spacings, ## \Delta f ##, between the lower and upper frequencies. Thus:
[tex] 2 \Delta f = \frac{c}{nl} = \frac{3 \times 10^{8}}{3.5 \cdot 300 \times 10^{-6}} = 2.867... \times 10^{11} [/tex]
Therefore, I thought that:
[tex] \text{Spectral width} = \Delta \lambda = \frac{c/n}{2 \Delta f} = 3 \times 10^{-4} \text{m} [/tex]

However, the answer is 0.6 nm which is quite a bit smaller than what I have... I do not really understand what approach I should be using instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Master1022 said:
I thought that
Thinking is one thing. Writing an equation is something else --- and in this case, better :smile:

What is ##\ {d\lambda\over df}\ ## if ##\ \lambda = {c/n\over f} ## ?

##\ ##

Thanks for the reply @BvU

BvU said:
Thinking is one thing. Writing an equation is something else --- and in this case, better :smile:

What is ##\ {d\lambda\over df}\ ## if ##\ \lambda = {c/n\over f} ## ?
##\ ##

So ## \frac{d\lambda}{df} = -\frac{c/n}{f^2} ##

I am then slightly confused how to proceed from there. Would I calculate ## f ## from the 850 nm we are given? If so, then I could do:
[tex] d\lambda = \frac{c/n}{(c/n\lambda)^2} \cdot df = \frac{\lambda^2}{c/n} \cdot 2 \Delta f [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{\lambda^2}{c/n} \cdot \frac{c}{nl} = \frac{\lambda^2}{l} [/tex]
but I am still making an error as that does not give me the right answer.

Master1022 said:
If so, then I could do
I mislead you to think ##f = c/(n\lambda)\ \ ## (not on purpose, I'm afraid o:) )

The 850 nm is in vacuo, so ##\ f\ ## should be ##\ f = c/\lambda ##

Numerically I still don't get the 0.6 nm but 0.68 nm for ##2\Delta f##.

##\ ##

BvU said:
I mislead you to think ##f = c/(n\lambda)\ \ ## (not on purpose, I'm afraid o:) )

The 850 nm is in vacuo, so ##\ f\ ## should be ##\ f = c/\lambda ##

Numerically I still don't get the 0.6 nm but 0.68 nm for ##2\Delta f##.

##\ ##
Thank you very much once again for your reply @BvU !

Using that, then I get:
[tex] \lambda = \frac{c/n}{f} \rightarrow \frac{d\lambda}{df} = -\frac{c/n}{f^2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{-c/n}{\left( \frac{c}{\lambda} \right)^2 } = \frac{-c/n}{c^2 / \lambda^2} = \frac{\lambda^2}{nc} [/tex]
Then we can multiply by ## 2\Delta f ## to get ## \frac{\lambda^2}{n^2 l} ##. However, I think I need to have just a factor of ## n ## in the denominator (instead of ##n^2 ##) to get the same answer as you. Could you see how I can reconcile this difference

[EDIT]: Nevermind, I have just realized that if I start with ## \lambda = \frac{c}{f} ##, then I get the same answer as you

Likes BvU

1. What is the purpose of calculating the spectral width of an optical fiber?

The spectral width of an optical fiber is an important parameter that indicates the range of wavelengths that the fiber can transmit. It is used to determine the bandwidth and data carrying capacity of the fiber, as well as its ability to transmit different types of signals such as analog or digital.

2. How is the spectral width of an optical fiber calculated?

The spectral width of an optical fiber is calculated by measuring the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the fiber's spectral response curve. This can be done using specialized equipment such as an optical spectrum analyzer.

3. What factors can affect the spectral width of an optical fiber?

The spectral width of an optical fiber can be affected by various factors such as the purity of the glass used in the fiber, the manufacturing process, and the quality of the connections and splices between fibers. Temperature and strain can also impact the spectral width.

4. How does the spectral width of an optical fiber impact its performance?

The spectral width of an optical fiber directly affects its performance in terms of bandwidth, data transmission speed, and signal quality. A wider spectral width means a larger range of wavelengths can be transmitted, resulting in a higher bandwidth and better data transmission capabilities.

5. Can the spectral width of an optical fiber be improved?

Yes, the spectral width of an optical fiber can be improved through various methods such as using higher quality materials, optimizing the manufacturing process, and implementing better splicing and connection techniques. However, there is a limit to how much the spectral width can be improved, as it is also dependent on the physical properties of the fiber itself.