Optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma

In summary, the conversation discusses a Tokamak with specific parameters and a deuterium plasma with certain properties. The task at hand is to find the electronic cyclotron frequency for the second harmonics and verify the emission in the second extraordinary harmonic in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field is optically thick. The relevant equations used are \omega_c=\frac{\Omega}{\gamma}=\frac{eB_0}{m_e\gamma}, \omega_m=\frac{m\omega_c}{1-\beta_{//}\cos\theta}, and \tau=\int\!\!ds\,\alpha(\nu). The first task can be solved by applying the formula for \omega_m with m=2, while the second
eoghan

Homework Statement

Let's consider a Tokamak with major radius [itex]R=1m[/itex] and minor radius [itex]a=0.3m[/itex], magnetic field [itex]B=5T[/itex] with a deuterium plasma with central density [itex]10^{20}m^{-3}[/itex], central temperature [itex]1keV[/itex] and parabolic temperature and density profiles [itex]\propto (1-r^2/a^2)[/itex]

a) Find the electronic cyclotron frequency for the second harmonics

b) Verify that the emission in the second extraordinary harmonic in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field is optically thick

Homework Equations

[tex] \omega_c=\frac{\Omega}{\gamma}=\frac{eB_0}{m_e\gamma}[/tex]
[tex] \omega_m=\frac{m\omega_c}{1-\beta_{//}\cos\theta}[/tex]
[tex] \tau=\int\!\!ds\,\alpha(\nu)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I just apply the formula for [itex]\omega_m[/itex] with [itex]m=2[/itex]
b) I have no idea... please give me some hint... I tried to calculate the cutoff frequencies for the second harmonic in the extraordinary mode, but the second harmonic frequency doesn't fall in the cutoff and it is not absorbed. I think I have to apply the integral and find [itex]\tau>>1[/itex] but I don't know how to apply that integral. I don't want the solution, just an hint

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem has been taken from exercise 5.4, chapter 5, Hutchinson - Principles of Plasma Diagnostic

1. What is the optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma?

The optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma refers to the measure of the number of times that a wave must pass through a plasma before its amplitude is reduced by a factor of 1/e. It is also known as the wave penetration depth.

2. How is the optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma calculated?

The optical thickness can be calculated using the formula τ = (2π/k) * (n*s), where τ is the optical thickness, k is the wave number, n is the plasma density, and s is the distance traveled by the wave.

3. What is the significance of the optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma?

The optical thickness is an important parameter in understanding the propagation of electromagnetic waves through a plasma. It helps in determining the interaction between the wave and the plasma, as well as the energy absorption and reflection properties of the plasma.

4. How does the optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma vary with plasma density?

The optical thickness increases with increasing plasma density. This is because a higher plasma density results in a greater number of collisions between the wave and plasma particles, leading to greater attenuation of the wave.

5. Can the optical thickness of the second harmonic cyclotron motion in a plasma be experimentally measured?

Yes, the optical thickness can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as laser interferometry or microwave transmission. These methods involve measuring the intensity of the wave before and after passing through the plasma to determine the amount of attenuation and hence the optical thickness.