Optics (dealing with 2 sources of wavelength)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two wavelengths and a wedge. The question states the presence of a second dark fringe, indicating destructive interference. The solution involves finding the positions of the first dark fringes for each wavelength and determining which one is the second from the contact point. The picture provided is misleading as the reflection of the black ray should be drawn off the back surface of the top plate.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Two glass plates and a thread form an air wedge as shown below.
The glass plates are 10 cm long, and the thread is 0.05 mm in diameter.
When the wedge is illuminated by two wavelengths at 400 nm and 600 nm,
interference fringes appear. Determine the distance of the second dark fringe
from the contact point of the two glass plates
Relevant Equations
For phase change:
Destructive interference: ##2nt=m\lambda##
To start off, I dealt with questions similar to this, but it only involves one wavelength. Now that there's 2 wavelengths, I'm kind of stumped as to what I should do.

Since the question stated a second dark fringe, I can assume that it will be a destructive interference. Since the rays are being reflected off the wedge, as shown below, there will be a phase change for the first ray and no phase change for the second ray, hence Destructive interference: ##2nt=m\lambda##

1579081205463.png

Let's say I deal with them 1 by 1,

For 400nm,

##2nt=m\lambda##
##2*1*t=m(400nm)##

and vice versa.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 400 nm light does not interfere with the 600 nm light. Since you understand the single wavelength problem, find the positions along the bottom plate of the first (no more than two) dark fringes for each wavelength and see which one is the second from the contact point. Note that you need to translate the fringe order ##m## into a length.

Also, your picture is misleading. The reflection of the black ray should be drawn off the back surface of the top plate not the front. The "thin film" is the air gap between the plates.

1. What is the difference between refraction and diffraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, while diffraction is the bending of light as it passes through an opening or around an obstacle. Refraction is caused by a change in the speed of light, while diffraction is caused by interference patterns.

2. How do you calculate the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency have an inverse relationship. As the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

4. How is the color of an object determined by its interaction with light?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. Objects appear a certain color because they absorb all other wavelengths and reflect only certain wavelengths that correspond to the color that we see.

5. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same wavelength and frequency meet and combine, resulting in a larger amplitude and brighter light. Destructive interference occurs when two waves of the same wavelength and frequency meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude and darker light.