Optics - Image formation (lenses)

In summary, the conversation discusses the position of an object in relation to a concave lens with a focal length of -48.0cm and an image formed 17.0cm to the right of the lens. The problem is solved using the equation 1/d0 + 1/di = 1/f and results in a negative object position, which contradicts the given solution. Further discussion reveals that the problem may have been incorrectly stated or that the professor made a mistake in the solution.
DataGG
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A lense with a focal length of ##-48.0cm## forms an image ##17.0cm## to the right of the lense. Where is the object positioned?

Homework Equations

$$\dfrac{1}{d_0}+\dfrac{1}{d_i}=\dfrac{1}{f}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, since the focal length is negative, we know that the lense is divergent (concave). The problem statement says that the image is to the right of the lense, so the ##s_i=17cm (>0)##We can compute the position of the object by using the formula above:

$$\dfrac{1}{d_0}+\dfrac{1}{17}=- \dfrac{1}{48}$$

And doing the calculations, it comes down to:

$$s_0=-12.55$$

However, the solutions say the solution is ##s_0=26.3##. One can get that if we take ##s_i## to be negative, which is wrong, in my opinion. (?)

So, why am I wrong? Or am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which way are you assuming the light is traveling?

Doc Al said:
Which way are you assuming the light is traveling?

From left to right.

DataGG said:
From left to right.
If you assumed right to left, the book answer would make some sense.

What book are you using?

Doc Al said:
If you assumed right to left, the book answer would make some sense.

What book are you using?

It's not a book answer. It's in a file full of exercises (made by the professor). He also gives the solutions.

We're using Hecht though.

DataGG said:
It's not a book answer. It's in a file full of exercises (made by the professor). He also gives the solutions.
Ah, he probably just messed up then.

DataGG said:
Well, since the focal length is negative, we know that the lense is divergent (concave). The problem statement says that the image is to the right of the lense, so the ##s_i=17cm (>0)##

We can compute the position of the object by using the formula above:

$$\dfrac{1}{d_0}+\dfrac{1}{17}=- \dfrac{1}{48}$$

And doing the calculations, it comes down to:

$$s_0=-12.55$$

However, the solutions say the solution is ##s_0=26.3##. One can get that if we take ##s_i## to be negative, which is wrong, in my opinion. (?)

So, why am I wrong? Or am I correct?

Since the image is formed to the right of the mirror and the lens in question is diverging ,then the object has to be on the right side of the lens .

In the Cartesian coordinate sign convention , the direction of incident rays is considered positive ,so right to left is positive .Both focal length and image distance are negative.

You should get ##s_0=-26.3## ,which means the object is to the right of the lens.

Vibhor said:
Since the image is formed to the right of the mirror and the lens in question is diverging ,then the object has to be on the right side of the lens .
Yes, but that assumes the light is going from right to left, as I had pointed out earlier. (Of course, nothing in the problem statement prohibits that.)

Is it possible , that with concave lens , image is formed towards right while the object is to the left ?

Vibhor said:
Is it possible , that with concave lens , image is formed towards right while the object is to the left ?
I don't see how.

This is why I am saying that light travels from right to left .We are not making any assumptions. I don't know about other sign conventions ,but I think the problem is fine.

But I think you meant in post#6 that there is something wrong with the problem.

Sorry if I am not understanding you correctly .

For what it's worth, I agree with Doc Al and the OP. The prof must have switched something around when doing the problem.

Vibhor said:
This is why I am saying that light travels from right to left .We are not making any assumptions. I don't know about other sign conventions ,but I think the problem is fine.

But I think you meant in post#6 that there is something wrong with the problem.

Sorry if I am not understanding you correctly .
You are correct. There's nothing wrong with the problem as stated. (But the light obviously does not move from left to right, as is the usual convention in simple lens problems.) I should have been clearer earlier.

We are in agreement. :smile:

Ibix said:
For what it's worth, I agree with Doc Al and the OP. The prof must have switched something around when doing the problem.
That's what I suspect also. But, as stated, the problem is valid, even if unintentionally. But who knows? Perhaps the prof is more clever than we think!

Possibly there's been a sneakiness fail. "To the right of the lens" would usually imply a positive di, which leads to DataGG's answer under the usual orientation conventions for lens diagrams. If the question specified that the image was virtual, however, then di is negative and out drops the book answer.

Either the question assumes standard conventions and the answer is wrong, or the question is sneaky and incomplete. Either way, one to raise with the instructor.

Related to Optics - Image formation (lenses)

1. How do lenses form images?

When light rays pass through a lens, they are refracted or bent. This causes the light to converge or diverge, depending on the shape of the lens. The point at which the light rays converge or appear to come from is where the image is formed.

2. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and form a real image. On the other hand, a concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and form a virtual image.

3. How do you calculate the magnification of an image formed by a lens?

The magnification of an image formed by a lens is calculated by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object. This can be represented by the equation M = hi/ho, where M is the magnification, hi is the height of the image and ho is the height of the object.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a specific point, creating an image that can be projected onto a screen. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to converge at a specific point, but they do not actually converge, making it impossible to project the image onto a screen.

5. How do lenses correct vision problems?

Lenses can correct vision problems by refracting light rays in a way that helps the eye to focus. For example, for nearsightedness, a concave lens is used to diverge light rays before they enter the eye, allowing the eye to focus the image properly. For farsightedness, a convex lens is used to converge light rays, bringing the image into focus on the retina.