Optics question: converging lens with virtual object

In summary, the conversation discusses an optics question in a physics textbook and the confusion over the correct interpretation of the sign convention for virtual objects. The solution manual and the individual have different approaches, with the manual interpreting the virtual object as a real one. The conversation also touches on the concept of relative positions of objects and lenses in terms of the direction of light travel.
quickk
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about an optics question in a physics textbook. I think the solutions I saw in the solution manual may be wrong.

The question is:
A lens and mirror are separated by d = 1.00 m and have focal lengths of 80.0 cm and -50.0 cm, respectively (so a converging lens, and a convex mirror). An object is placed p = 1.00 m to the left of the lens (so the object is at x = 0, the lens at x = 1.00 m, and the mirror at 2.00 m).

Considering only the light that leaves the object and travels first towards the mirror, locate the final image formed by the system.

When you do the calculations using

1/p + 1/q = 1/f

you find that the lens first creates an image 400 cm to the right of it. Using this as the object for the mirror (so, p = -300, since it is behind the mirror), you'll find q = -60 cm. This means the image is 60 cm behind the mirror, or 160 behind the lens.

So now I look at the last pass through the lens. This is where I am confused. Since the object is behind the lens, I would think that I should use p = -160 cm. With the focal length of the mirror being 80 cm, I find q = 53 cm. According to my understanding of the sign convention, this means that the object is 53 cm to the right of the lens.

However, when I look at the textbook solution, they do not get this. All of the steps are the same until the third calculation. They state that the object is 160 cm to the right of the lens (just like me), then proceed to use p = +160cm, upon which they find q = 160. They interpret this as meaning that the object is 160 cm to the left of the lens.

So, it seems that they simply interpreted the virtual object as being a real one and proceeded from there. This seems reasonable, but goes against all the info that I could find about virtual objects.

Any thoughts?

Science news on Phys.org
quickk said:
So now I look at the last pass through the lens. This is where I am confused. Since the object is behind the lens, I would think that I should use p = -160 cm.

However, [they] then proceed to use p = +160cm

"In front of" and "behind" the lens are relative to the direction the light is traveling. "In front of" means the side of the lens from which the light is entering, and "behind" means the side towards which the light is emerging. The mirror reverses the direction of travel, so after the reflection, you have to switch the labels for "front" and "back" sides of the lens.

Another way to think of it: after the reflection step, mentally flip the diagram around so the light is still going from left to right. Or maybe even re-draw the diagram.

Yet another way to think of it: light rays coming from a real object diverge as they hit the lens, whereas light rays heading towards a virtual object converge as they hit the lens.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a converging lens and what is its function?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is designed to bring parallel rays of light towards a single point, known as the focal point. Its function is to converge or focus light rays to create a sharper image.

2. What is a virtual object and how does it relate to a converging lens?

A virtual object is an object that does not physically exist but is created by the brain when an image is formed by a lens. It is located on the opposite side of the lens compared to the actual object. In the case of a converging lens, the virtual object is formed when the light rays pass through the lens and converge at a point.

3. How does the distance of the virtual object from a converging lens affect the image formation?

The distance of the virtual object from a converging lens plays a crucial role in the formation of the image. If the virtual object is closer to the lens, the image will be magnified and appear larger. However, if the virtual object is further away, the image will be smaller and closer to the lens.

4. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen or captured by a camera. It is formed when the light rays converge and intersect, creating an actual image that can be seen. On the other hand, a virtual image is an image that cannot be projected or captured. It is formed when the light rays appear to converge, but they do not actually intersect. This type of image can only be seen by looking through the lens.

5. How can the focal length of a converging lens be calculated?

The focal length of a converging lens can be calculated using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the distance of the object from the lens, and di is the distance of the image from the lens. By knowing any two of these values, the focal length can be determined.