Optics question-Materials for vacuum chamber viewing ports

In summary, the author is looking for advice on how to design a chamber that will minimize refracted light and improve the clarity of ellipsometry measurements. The author is concerned about factors such as polarization, refractive index, and transmittance.
ecnerwalc3321
Hi guys,

I am interested in designing a chamber that is either purged with nitrogen gas or vacuum sealed that encloses a thin film sample. The method of analysis is via ellipsometry. (My knowledge of optics is extremely limited but know that ellipsometry measures some shift in polarization of light upon reflection off a surface to determine thickness of film). The most immediate problem for me is determining what material to make the viewing ports for which the incident ray can pass through readily and keep all its properties (good transmittance, no changes in polarization, etc) and what the angle of the ports should be at (we normally do measurements at 65 degrees; so to eliminate refractance due to material, I've figured it should be placed at a 65 degree angle.

Are there other factors that I should consider? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
ecnerwalc3321 said:
Hi guys,

I am interested in designing a chamber that is either purged with nitrogen gas or vacuum sealed that encloses a thin film sample. The method of analysis is via ellipsometry. (My knowledge of optics is extremely limited but know that ellipsometry measures some shift in polarization of light upon reflection off a surface to determine thickness of film). The most immediate problem for me is determining what material to make the viewing ports for which the incident ray can pass through readily and keep all its properties (good transmittance, no changes in polarization, etc) and what the angle of the ports should be at (we normally do measurements at 65 degrees; so to eliminate refractance due to material, I've figured it should be placed at a 65 degree angle.

Are there other factors that I should consider? Thanks.

Your post lacks details.

For example, what range of light are you going to be using? If you are going to perform ellipsometry over visible range, than ordinary glass should be sufficient (you will still need to know the transmission of that glass over that range, which is often provided by the manufacturer). However, if you need to go into the UV range, than you will need quartz or fused-silica window.

No one can answer the "angle" of the port, since we have no idea how you are performing the measurement, and what your vacuum chamber looks like.

Zz.

OK, so I have shown a picture of the current setup. The sample is placed in the center. Polarized light comes in from the left barrel, reflects off the sample, and enters the barrel on the right. What I'm looking to build is a cover/chamber this that covers the sample but does not affect measurements to a great extent. Obviously, two windows on the chamber have to be made in order for light to pass through and hit the sample. Visible light is used; normally we analyze data from 400nm upwards. Measurements are taken at a fixed angle (as shown in picture, 65 degrees).

I was hoping to double check my reason with some experts here before having this thing retrofitted. I do not deal with optics at all; after plowing through many textbooks and seeing how fertile the field is, I'm afraid that I'll overlook some physical phenomenon in designing this thing.

I feel that the factors that I need to be concerned about include polarization change as light passes through windows, refractive index, and transmittance. Is there anything else that needs to be considered? Is this problem as simple as building a chamber that has two windows at 65 degrees (normal to incident light to minimize refracted light) with a material that is offers close to 100% transmittance in the wavelength that I want?

Thank you very much for your input.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 460

Related to Optics question-Materials for vacuum chamber viewing ports

1. What materials are commonly used for vacuum chamber viewing ports?

Some of the most common materials used for vacuum chamber viewing ports are fused silica, borosilicate glass, and sapphire. These materials are chosen for their high optical transparency and resistance to high vacuum environments.

2. Why is optical transparency important for vacuum chamber viewing ports?

Optical transparency is important because it allows for visible light to pass through the material, allowing for easy observation and monitoring of processes within the vacuum chamber. This is especially important for experiments or processes that require precise visual observation.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a material for a vacuum chamber viewing port?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a material for a vacuum chamber viewing port include its optical transparency, resistance to high vacuum and extreme temperatures, and its compatibility with the materials and processes within the chamber. Cost and availability may also be important considerations.

4. How is the material for a vacuum chamber viewing port tested for durability?

The material for a vacuum chamber viewing port is typically tested for durability by subjecting it to extreme temperatures and vacuum levels in a controlled environment. It may also be tested for its ability to withstand mechanical stress and chemical exposure.

5. Can multiple materials be used for a vacuum chamber viewing port?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple materials for a vacuum chamber viewing port. For example, a sapphire window may be used for its high vacuum and temperature resistance, while a fused silica window may be used for its high optical transparency. However, care must be taken to ensure that the materials are compatible with each other and with the processes within the chamber.