Optics - Refracting light on film oil

In summary, the phenomenon of oil on glass is due to interference of light reflecting from the boundaries of the film.
iontail
Hi i was going through some of my physics past papers to prepare for exams, when i came across this question

A film of oil of refractive index 1.45 rests on a flat piece of glass of refractive index 1.6. When illuminated by white light at normal incidence, light of wavelengths 690 nm and 460 nm are predominant in the reflected light. I don't understand this phenomena.

I tried to explain it through dispersion, but don't think dispersion can happen at normal incidence.

Would Some one please explain the physics behind this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The optical properties of thin films are due to the interference of light reflecting from the boundaries. Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/thinfilm.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
I inderstand the cpncept of interference, but my problem is i cannot explain why i observe two waves of different wavelenghts, as interference is caused by phase difference, and i believe the wavelength of waves don't change with with interference or doesn't it. Please correct me if i am worng?

Treat each wavelength in the incoming light separately. For each wavelength, figure out the phase difference between the light reflecting from (1) top layer of the film (air/oil) and (2) bottom layer of the film (oil/glass). That phase difference depends on the wavelength of the light and the thickness and index of refraction of the film. Wavelengths that constructively interfere will be predominant in the reflection light; wavelengths that destructively interfere will not be.

so the fact that white light is made of electromagnetic radiation of different wavelength is involved in our understanding of the situation? I was say this to my friend, but he said it was not correct. Was i right when i thought of white light being made of electromagnetic radiation of different colours?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Optics - Refracting light on film oil

What is "Optics - Refracting light on film oil"?

Optics - Refracting light on film oil is a scientific phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a medium with varying refractive indices, such as oil on film. This causes the light to bend or refract, creating interesting patterns and colors.

How does refraction work?

Refraction occurs when light passes through a medium with a different refractive index, causing it to change direction. This is due to the change in speed of light as it travels through different materials. The amount of refraction depends on the angle at which the light enters the medium and the difference in refractive indices between the two materials.

What is the purpose of using film oil in refracting light?

Film oil is often used in optics experiments because it has a high refractive index, allowing for a greater amount of refraction to occur. This makes it easier to observe and study the effects of refraction on light. Additionally, film oil has a smooth surface, which helps to create clear and distinct patterns of refracted light.

Can refraction be used in practical applications?

Yes, refraction has many practical applications in various fields such as optics, medicine, and engineering. For example, lenses in glasses and microscopes use refraction to bend light and focus it in a specific direction. Refraction is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI scans, which use magnetic fields and refraction to produce detailed images of the body's tissues.

What other factors can affect refraction?

Apart from the refractive index of the medium, other factors that can affect refraction include the wavelength and intensity of light, the angle of incidence, and the temperature and pressure of the medium. These factors can alter the speed of light and the degree of refraction, leading to different patterns and effects.