Optimal Control of Linear-Affine System w/ Constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a minimum-time optimal control policy for a basic system using a double integrator in 3-dimensions. The system has a constant forcing term and control constraints, and the cost function is final time. The conversation also explores the possibility of using a classic digital controller to achieve this goal.
manciong
Although this could fall under engineering, I thought the Diff Eq forum was the most relevant. Let me know if I should post elsewhere.

I have a fairly basic system for which I'm trying to find a minimum-time optimal control policy. I know there are many ways to do this numerically, but since I'm trying to solve it very rapidly, I'm wondering if there is an analytical solution.

My system is a double integrator in 3-dimensions with the control inputs being acceleration. This system is affine because there is a constant forcing term (gravity - however this acceleration does not appear in the control accelerations). The control constraints are simply that the norm of the acceleration components our bounded above (i.e. there is a maximum total acceleration due to a maximum thrust of the system).

The cost function is just final time. I want to control my system from one state (A) to another (B) in a minimum amount of time while obeying my max acceleration constraint.

It looks very similar to a linear-quadratic regulator, which has an analytical solution. However, it is not a LQR because of the affine term and control constraints.

For those who do not study controls, this may be too esoteric. However for control engineers, there may be a commonly known answer of which I am unaware.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
manciong said:
Although this could fall under engineering, I thought the Diff Eq forum was the most relevant. Let me know if I should post elsewhere.

I have a fairly basic system for which I'm trying to find a minimum-time optimal control policy. I know there are many ways to do this numerically, but since I'm trying to solve it very rapidly, I'm wondering if there is an analytical solution.

My system is a double integrator in 3-dimensions with the control inputs being acceleration. This system is affine because there is a constant forcing term (gravity - however this acceleration does not appear in the control accelerations). The control constraints are simply that the norm of the acceleration components our bounded above (i.e. there is a maximum total acceleration due to a maximum thrust of the system).

The cost function is just final time. I want to control my system from one state (A) to another (B) in a minimum amount of time while obeying my max acceleration constraint.

It looks very similar to a linear-quadratic regulator, which has an analytical solution. However, it is not a LQR because of the affine term and control constraints.

For those who do not study controls, this may be too esoteric. However for control engineers, there may be a commonly known answer of which I am unaware.

Thanks!

I assume you can calculate the theoretically maximum acceleration = 100%.

1) Design a classic digital controller ( not state-space ) as minimum-timed as you like.
2) Set the input = 200%.
3) Run the first "forward" calculation. Say the legal output maximum range of the controller = 2047, and that the actual output at some sample will be 4103.
The surplus = 4103 - 2047 = 2056. Now you "back-calculate" this surplus to the input, and subtract it from the input-value.
4) Resume the first forward calculation with the corrected input. Now the output and rough calculations will not "overflow", which means that your integrators will not "wind-up". You can now do the second calculation (shifting values, preparing next sample, etc.) without any problems (wind-up, overshoot), and the output from the controller will be ≈ 2047 all the way under control. This correction of the input will not take place when intended speed has been reached.

Last edited:

1. What is optimal control of a linear-affine system with constraints?

Optimal control refers to the process of finding the best control inputs for a system in order to achieve a desired outcome. In a linear-affine system, the dynamics of the system can be described by linear equations with affine terms, which account for external inputs. Constraints refer to limitations on the control inputs, such as physical or operational limitations.

2. Why is optimal control important for linear-affine systems with constraints?

Optimal control is important because it allows us to achieve the desired outcome while taking into account the constraints of the system. It ensures that the system operates within the given limitations and can help improve the efficiency and performance of the system.

3. What are some examples of linear-affine systems with constraints?

Some examples of linear-affine systems with constraints include robotic arms, aircraft control systems, and chemical processes. In these systems, there are limitations on the control inputs, such as the range of motion for a robotic arm or the maximum speed for an aircraft.

4. What are the main methods used for solving optimal control problems for linear-affine systems with constraints?

The main methods used for solving optimal control problems for linear-affine systems with constraints include dynamic programming, Pontryagin's maximum principle, and the Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation. These methods involve finding the optimal control inputs that minimize a cost function or maximize a performance measure.

5. What are some challenges in implementing optimal control for linear-affine systems with constraints?

Some challenges in implementing optimal control for linear-affine systems with constraints include the high computational complexity of the methods, the need for accurate system models, and the difficulty in handling nonlinear and time-varying constraints. Additionally, finding the optimal solution may not always be feasible in real-time applications due to the time-consuming nature of the optimization process.