Optimization - Minimizing the cost of making a cyclindrical can

In summary, to minimize the cost of materials for a can that can hold 280 mL of juice, the volume equation 2*pi*r*h can be used. The side of the can is made from one rectangular sheet while the top and bottom are stamped out from another sheet, with the unused metal being donated to a charity. By setting the given volume equal to the volume equation and converting mL to m^3, the height can be eliminated and the optimal dimensions for the can can be solved for. The height to diameter ratio of 1:1 may not necessarily minimize the cost, as the goal is to minimize the cost of the entire can rather than just the surface area.
roman15

Homework Statement

The can will hold 280 mL of juice. The metal for the side of the can costs $0.75/m^2. The metal for the top and bottom costs $1.4/m^2. The side of the can is one rectangular sheet. The top and bottom are stamped out from another rectangular sheet, the unused metal from this rectangle is donated to a charity. The charity exchanges scrap metal for money. What dimensions for the can will minimize the cost of materials?

I didnt think the part about the charity was important, but I wrote it in just incase.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

SA=2pir^2 +2pirh
so the cost would be
C=1.4(2pir^2) + 0.75(2pirh)
=2.8pir^2 + 1.5pirh

I didnt really know where to go from here because I don't know how to get rid of h. I thought that h=2r because I figured out that to minimize the SA of a cyclinder the height:diameter ratio would be 1:1 and if SA is minimized then cost would also be minimized...but that didnt work out because if SA is minimized it doesn't mean that less of the expensive pieces of metal are being used. And I am not sure if the mL was important because I don't know if I can relate mL to m.

Physics news on Phys.org
See, you can't use that height to diameter minimizing, because you aren't minimizing surface area, you are minimizing the cost of the entire thing. what you are given is a volume. you know the volume of a cylinder is 2*pi*r*h. So you can set that volume = 280mL, which you will have to convert to m^3. once you do that, you can get rid of this h, and then solve.

cheers.

Related to Optimization - Minimizing the cost of making a cyclindrical can

1. What is the objective of minimizing the cost of making a cylindrical can?

The objective of minimizing the cost of making a cylindrical can is to reduce the overall production cost and increase profitability for the company.

2. What factors contribute to the cost of making a cylindrical can?

The cost of making a cylindrical can is influenced by factors such as material costs, labor costs, energy costs, transportation costs, and overhead costs.

3. How can we optimize the production process to minimize the cost of making a cylindrical can?

To optimize the production process, we can use techniques such as lean manufacturing, process improvement, and automation to reduce waste, increase efficiency, and reduce costs.

4. What are some common challenges in minimizing the cost of making a cylindrical can?

Some common challenges in minimizing the cost of making a cylindrical can include fluctuating material prices, labor shortages, and competition from other companies.

5. How can we measure the success of our optimization efforts in minimizing the cost of making a cylindrical can?

The success of our optimization efforts can be measured through metrics such as cost per unit, production efficiency, and overall profitability. Regular analysis and tracking of these metrics can help us identify areas for further improvement.