Optimization of a rectangle's area in two parabolas

In summary, the task is to determine the maximum area of a rectangle formed in a region defined by two curves, y1=x2-k and y2=x2+k. The equations were given and the attempt at a solution involved setting k=1. There was a question about whether the rectangle needed to be parallel to the axes for maximum area, which was clarified to be an extension on a first-year calculus course. The question of whether it was in the question's best interest to assume a rectangle with sides parallel to the x-axis was raised, but it was noted that this could potentially make the problem more difficult.
cinematic

Homework Statement

Determine the maximum area of a rectangle formed in the region formed by the two curves
y1=x2 - k
y2=x2 + k

Homework Equations

The equations are given, I tried using k=1. so y1= x2 - 1, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it true that the rectangle has to be sideways (i.e. NOT parallel to the axes in order to maximize the area of the rectangle?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why take k = 1? Just leave it as k. Is this problem from a typical first year calculus text? The reason I ask is I would be very surprised if it is asking you to consider rectangles not parallel to the axes. I don't know offhand if the maximum would be attained by a slanted rectangle since I have never seen that problem worked, worked it myself, or even asked for that matter.

Actually, this is an extension on first-time calculus. Our teacher was suggesting if it was possible that by tilting the rectangle, so to speak, the maximized area would be obtained, or if it was in the question's best interest to assume a rectangle with sides parallel to the x-axis.

cinematic said:
Actually, this is an extension on first-time calculus. Our teacher was suggesting if it was possible that by tilting the rectangle, so to speak, the maximized area would be obtained, or if it was in the question's best interest to assume a rectangle with sides parallel to the x-axis.

I didn't know a question had a "best interest" :smile:

The difficulty of having that problem in a first course is that it would be an optimization problem in two variables. If you haven't had that yet, it would presumably be beyond your abilities. Still, it might be an interesting problem given you had the background.

Related to Optimization of a rectangle's area in two parabolas

1. What is the purpose of optimizing a rectangle's area in two parabolas?

The purpose of optimizing a rectangle's area in two parabolas is to find the dimensions of the rectangle that will result in the maximum area within the two parabolas. This can be useful in various real-life scenarios, such as finding the optimal dimensions for a garden bed or maximizing the space within a room.

2. How do you determine the dimensions of the rectangle that will result in the maximum area?

The dimensions of the rectangle can be determined by finding the intersection points of the two parabolas, and then using the coordinates of these points to calculate the length and width of the rectangle. The dimensions of the rectangle can also be expressed in terms of a variable, such as x or y, and then solved using calculus.

3. What is the role of calculus in optimizing a rectangle's area in two parabolas?

Calculus is used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, which in this case is the area of the rectangle. By taking the derivative of the area function and setting it equal to zero, we can find the critical points where the area is either at a maximum or minimum. This helps us determine the dimensions of the rectangle that will result in the maximum area.

4. Are there any limitations to optimizing a rectangle's area in two parabolas?

Yes, there are limitations. This method of optimization assumes that the parabolas are symmetrical and that the rectangle is aligned with the x and y-axes. Additionally, the optimization may not be accurate if the parabolas are not smooth curves or if the rectangle is not fully contained within the parabolas.

5. Can the same method be applied to optimize the area of a rectangle in other curves?

Yes, the same method of optimization can be applied to any continuous and differentiable curve. However, the equations and calculations may differ depending on the shape of the curve. It is important to consider the limitations and assumptions when applying this method to optimize the area of a rectangle in other curves.