Optimizing Air Pressure for Hovering: Calculating the PSI Needed for Static Lift

In summary, the conversation is about creating a hovercraft-like object that can lift 250 lbs using compressed air and an air dam and skirt. The question is about the required air pressure to achieve constant hovering and whether there would be buoyancy if the air pressure underneath equals the object's mass. The conversation also includes a mention of a calculator website for designing hovercrafts and a statement about not wanting to share profits. There is also a discussion about the gap between the skirt and the ground and how it affects the required air pressure.
c2it4u532
I want to create lift of an object about the size of 36 in by 8 in. the lift would be provided by
compressed air and the object would have an air dam and skirt (like hovercraft) and lift approx
250 lb mass on it to floatation level of .05 in (where skirt would not reach above lift surface.
What type of psi would it take to constant hover. Assume Skirted area is approx. the area of
the underside of the object. If air pressure underneath equals mass of object doesn't buoyancy
occur?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its not a tennis court and its not a game. I need some assist in calculating some issues.
Itought I had the numbers to start and and wondering if these values are right. IF you have heard of Kickstarter.com , then you or a few of your associates might understand. I am not going back to school to learn values and then make other people very prosperous for sharing ideas. To your benefit and mine. Thanks for the input. your reply appreciated.

c2it4u532 said:
Its not a tennis court and its not a game. I need some assist in calculating some issues.
Itought I had the numbers to start and and wondering if these values are right. IF you have heard of Kickstarter.com , then you or a few of your associates might understand. I am not going back to school to learn values and then make other people very prosperous for sharing ideas. To your benefit and mine. Thanks for the input. your reply appreciated.
If that's your attitude, you're in the wrong place. Most of the teachers here are world-class experts in their fields. (I'm not one of those, but anyone that I cite is.) One of my loves is hovercraft, and Russ was kind enough to find that calculator site. If you don't appreciate that, then I don't want to have any further contact with you. And the quote about the tennis court is my signature that is included automatically in everything that I post. It has nothing to do with you.

edit: By the bye, you don't demand things here; you request them or hit the road.
Also, why should we help you to make money that you have specifically stated we will have no share of?

2nd edit: Even if we help you, Greg will own the patent since it will be designed on his site and he owns all rights to it.

Last edited:
I apologize if I offended you and my intentions were not in that direction. I am not demanding anything.

Accepted on my behalf. Perhaps it was a communications misunderstanding, and I over-responded.

I don't understand what you mean by "the skirt would not reach above lift surface"? Is there a gap at the bottom of the skirt or does the skirt form an air tight seal with the "ground"?

If there is a perfect seal the required pressure is easy to calculate..

It's just 250/(36x8)= 0.87psi above atmospheric.

If there is gap/air leak the required pressure is the same but you need to calculate the flow rate required which is beyond my experience.

If it's on water the same rules on displacement occur. eg a hovercraft displaces water equal to it's mass just like a boat.

Related to Optimizing Air Pressure for Hovering: Calculating the PSI Needed for Static Lift

1. What is static air lift?

Static air lift is a method of lifting objects or substances using compressed air. It involves injecting air into a chamber under the object or substance, creating a pocket of low pressure that causes the object to rise.

2. How does static air lift work?

Static air lift works by utilizing the principle of buoyancy. When compressed air is injected into a chamber under an object, it displaces the surrounding air and creates a low-pressure pocket, causing the object to rise.

3. What are the applications of static air lift?

Static air lift can be used in a variety of applications, such as lifting heavy objects in construction, transporting materials in industrial processes, and creating artificial waterfalls in theme parks.

4. What are the advantages of using static air lift?

One of the main advantages of static air lift is that it does not require any moving parts, making it a simple and reliable method of lifting. It is also more energy-efficient compared to other lifting methods, such as cranes.

5. Are there any limitations to using static air lift?

Static air lift is limited by the amount of compressed air that can be injected into the chamber, which may restrict the weight or size of the object that can be lifted. It also requires a stable and flat surface for the object to rest on.