Optimizing Dolphin Tracking: Calculating the Angle for Dart Gun Accuracy

In summary, a scientist is using a dart gun to shoot tracking devices onto dolphins in the Mediterranean. She is standing 1m above the water and looking at a dolphin swimming at a depth of 2m. With a refractive index of 1.33, she needs to find the angle to point the dart gun to hit the dolphin. After attempting a solution, she realizes that the task is to find the angle of the straight path the dart will take.
Seneka

Homework Statement

A scientist investigating the movements of dolphins in the Mediterranean uses a dart gun to shoot small, harmless tracking devices onto the fins of dolphins. When standing on deck, her hand is 1m above the water, and looking along the dart gun she is holding at an angle of 45∘, she sees a dolphin. Using sonar she has found that the dolphin is swimming at a depth of 2m. We know that the refractive index for water is 1.33. At what angle from the horizontal should she point the dart gun to hit the dolphin?

Homework Equations

n1sintheta1=n2sintheta2
Answer:
spec_dolphin_underwater_s.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the angle in the water to be 32 degrees using the equation above and extended that line from the dolphin to the refracted ray above the water to the scientists hand. I knew that this would make an angle of 180 degrees so I subtracted 32 and 90 from 180 to give me 58 degrees as the answer. This is wrong but I don't understand why. Why do you treat the the two rays as vectors and why do you add them? What is wrong with my working out?

Attachments

• spec_dolphin_underwater_s.png
    spec_dolphin_underwater_s.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
Seneka said:
and extended that line from the dolphin to the refracted ray above the water to the scientists hand.
That sequence does not produce a straight line, it merely reproduces the bent line in the ray diagram.
The task is to find the angle of the straight path the dart will take.

Likes Seneka
haruspex said:
That sequence does not produce a straight line, it merely reproduces the bent line in the ray diagram.
The task is to find the angle of the straight path the dart will take.
Cool, thanks

This problem seems very unrealistic and completely ignores whether or not that dart would actually be able to reach the dolphin after impacting on the water surface ...

What is the "Dolphin Underwater Problem"?

The "Dolphin Underwater Problem" refers to a scenario in which a dolphin is swimming underwater and needs to reach the surface to breathe. However, there are a series of obstacles in its path that it must navigate around in order to reach the surface safely.

What are the main challenges of the "Dolphin Underwater Problem"?

The main challenges of the "Dolphin Underwater Problem" include identifying and avoiding obstacles, maintaining a steady and efficient swimming pace, and accurately judging the distance to the surface for each breath.

What factors can affect the success of a dolphin in solving the "Dolphin Underwater Problem"?

Factors that can affect the success of a dolphin in solving the "Dolphin Underwater Problem" include the dolphin's physical abilities, its level of experience and training, the complexity and placement of the obstacles, and the speed and depth of the water.

How do scientists study the "Dolphin Underwater Problem"?

Scientists study the "Dolphin Underwater Problem" by conducting experiments and observations in controlled environments, such as research tanks or pools. They also use advanced technologies, such as underwater cameras and sensors, to track and analyze the dolphin's movements and behaviors.

What insights can be gained from studying the "Dolphin Underwater Problem"?

Studying the "Dolphin Underwater Problem" can provide insights into the cognitive and physical abilities of dolphins, as well as their problem-solving strategies. This information can also inform conservation efforts and help improve the design of underwater structures and equipment to better accommodate dolphin habitats.

Back