Optimizing Marimba Tuning for Temperature Variations: A Scientific Approach

In summary, optimizing marimba tuning for temperature variations requires a scientific approach that takes into account the physical properties of the instrument and the effects of temperature on its sound. This involves adjusting the tension of the bars to compensate for changes in temperature and using specialized software to calculate the necessary adjustments. Through this process, marimba players can ensure consistent and high-quality sound production regardless of temperature fluctuations.
Marimba Australia
How did you find PF?
Web Search
I make marimbas, and I have invented a few variations (www.marimbaaustralia.com)

I am interested in how sound moves through the wooden bars - in particular the effect that temperature has and how to compensate during tuning on different temperature days.

I have almost no algebraic knowledge though - sorry.

I have a thermometer set up with a scale along the degrees - with a 3 cent + or - for each degree Celsius, yet I don’t thing I have it right.

I would love to be able to tune bars flat or sharp in any temperature and have them exactly at A=440hz at 21 degrees Celsius.
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I have done that now.