Optimizing Mosfet Amplifier Problem Solution with Kirchhoff's Law and KVL

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit problem involving a MOSFET. The first part involves finding the DC bias current, which is done by using Kirchhoff's voltage law and determining the voltage across the gate and source. The second part involves solving for the AC load line, which requires knowing the values of the capacitors and the operating frequency. Alternatively, high values can be assumed for the capacitors and a graph can be made to determine the small-signal gain. However, in this circuit, the output may not be a perfect sine wave due to the assumption of infinite capacitance.
DragonChase29

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-9_11-50-24.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

• K=0.5μnCox(W/L)
  • ID=K×(Vgs-Vt)2
  • Kirchhoff's voltage Law

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A,

My initial assumption was that since we are trying to find the DC bias current(to help find K), we would use the large signal, where capacitors are treated as open circuits. The new equivalent circuit is:
upload_2017-9-9_12-10-19.png

Then, I thought it would be a simple KVL problem because the is no current at the gate, such that,
Ir3=0.
Thus,
(4k+2k)Id+4-10=0
and Id=1mA.

Again, since Ir3=0, that means Vgate=0 and Vgs=Vgate-Vsource=0-(1mA)*(2k)=-2V

That would mean Vov=Vgs-Vt=-2-2=-4V[/B]

This would mean that Vds>Vov, which means the mosfet is in active region and the
equation
Id=K(Vov)2 cabn be applied.
Thus K=(1mA)/(-4)2=62.5 μA/V

I am sure this is completely wrong, but it is all I have at the moment.

With B, I am not sure how to accomplish this. I have been googling, and it stated I needed the DC and AC load lines. My DC load line was:
Id= (1/600)-Vds/6k

but that is all I have.

Please, any assistance wou;d be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
DragonChase29 said:
Id=1mA.
Good so far. In fact, nicely done.
Again, since Ir3=0, that means Vgate=0
Whence this? If there is no current thru the 1 meg then what does the gate voltage have to be? Fix this & we can continue.

rude man said:
Good so far. In fact, nicely done.Whence this? If there is no current thru the 1 meg then what does the gate voltage have to be? Fix this & we can continue.

Wait... If there is no current through the resistor, the gate voltage has to be 0. I'm sorry, maybe I am not understanding something...

LOL... just figured it out. Since the voltage across the 1Mohm resistor is Vd-Vgate, if the current is 0 amps, then Vgate=Vdrain, which is 6V.

Then, Vgs=4 V and the active equation still applies

K=Id/(Vov)2=0.25 mA/V

DragonChase29 said:
Then, Vgs=4 V and the active equation still applies

K=Id/(Vov)2=0.25 mA/V
That is ever so much better! :smile:

Now onto part B, which is really confusing me. Any resources?

DragonChase29 said:
Now onto part B, which is really confusing me. Any resources?
Were you given values for C1 and C2? This part can only be solved given C1 and C2, together with the operating frequency. That's because the 1 meg feedback resistor plays a part in the answer to some extent depending on the above parameters.

What you can otherwise do is assume high values for C1 and C2. In which case the 1 meg plays no part. Just apply a sine voltage about the dc value of Vg which you have calculated in (a) and solve for Id and consequently Vd.

We were not given capacitor values. My assumption is its in the mid band, so they are shorted when doing small signal..

Last edited by a moderator:
DragonChase29 said:
We were not given capacitor values. My assumption is its in the mid band, so they are shorted when doing small signal..
Yes, that's what I meant in my previous post. Just vary the gate voltage and compute the effect on Id, and then look at the effect on Vd and how big a voltage swing you can get there without clipping the sine wave.

rude man said:
Yes, that's what I meant in my previous post. Just vary the gate voltage and compute the effect on Id, and then look at the effect on Vd and how big a voltage swing you can get there without clipping the sine wave.
I am sorry...I don't understnad this. Vary the gate voltage...How do I know when I clip the sine wave?

DragonChase29 said:
I am sorry...I don't understnad this. Vary the gate voltage...How do I know when I clip the sine wave?
Make a graph of Id vs. Vg: Id = K(Vg - IdR1 - VT)^2, then Vout = Id*R2.
There is however a problem: this circuit will not give you a sine wave output for a sine wave input if you assume C1 = C2 = infinity. So the answer would then be that only very small sine inputs give a quasi-sine output. To determine how small you have to compute Id(Vg) and see under what condition Id is somewhat linearly related to Vg. I have the answer if you get that far.

rude man said:
Make a graph of Id vs. Vg: Id = K(Vg - IdR1 - VT)^2, then Vout = Id*R2.
There is however a problem: this circuit will not give you a sine wave output for a sine wave input if you assume C1 = C2 = infinity. So the answer would then be that only very small sine inputs give a quasi-sine output. To determine how small you have to compute Id(Vg) and see under what condition Id is somewhat linearly related to Vg. I have the answer if you get that far.
Thanks for all your help, rude man. Unfortunately, I still am not understanding the method that you are describing. From what I was told, I would need the DC load line and the AC load line. I don't know how to get the AC load line and what to do after

DragonChase29 said:
Thanks for all your help, rude man. Unfortunately, I still am not understanding the method that you are describing. From what I was told, I would need the DC load line and the AC load line. I don't know how to get the AC load line and what to do after
DragonChase29 said:
I've never been too crazy about load lines. Not sure they're even appropriate here since the cicuit is nonlinear. In any case, one way or another you have to effectively do what I wrote in my previous post: graph Id vs. Vg, then Vout = E - IdR2 with E = 10V.

There is a small-signal gain which I think you mean by "AC" which you calculate by taking ∂Id/∂Vg after you get your expression for Id in terms of Vg and VT. For your circuit this gain is ∂Id/∂Vg = 0.67/R2.

1. What is a Mosfet Amplifier?

A Mosfet Amplifier is an electronic device that uses a Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor (Mosfet) to amplify an electrical signal. It is commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and other electronic devices.

2. How can Kirchhoff's Law and KVL be used to optimize a Mosfet Amplifier?

Kirchhoff's Law and KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) can be used to analyze the circuit of a Mosfet Amplifier and determine the optimal values for its components. This involves using Kirchhoff's Law to calculate the current flowing through the circuit and using KVL to calculate the voltage drops across various components.

3. What are the benefits of optimizing a Mosfet Amplifier using Kirchhoff's Law and KVL?

Optimizing a Mosfet Amplifier using Kirchhoff's Law and KVL can result in a more efficient and stable circuit. By determining the optimal values for components such as resistors and capacitors, the amplifier can operate at its maximum potential and produce a better quality output signal.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Law and KVL be used for any type of Mosfet Amplifier?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Law and KVL can be applied to any type of Mosfet Amplifier, as long as the circuit can be represented as a series of nodes and branches. However, the complexity of the circuit may impact the accuracy and ease of using these laws for optimization.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchhoff's Law and KVL for optimizing Mosfet Amplifiers?

One limitation is that these laws assume ideal conditions, which may not hold true in real-world situations. Additionally, the equations involved can become complex for more complicated circuits, making it difficult to find an exact solution. In these cases, approximations and simulation software may be used instead.