Optimizing Periodic Motion in an Elliptical Orbit

In summary, the minimum possible period of the periodic motion of a particle moving around an ellipse of equation ##\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1##, with ##a>b## and maximum velocities of ##v## in both the ##x## and ##y## directions, can be found by dividing the ellipse into sectors where the velocity is constrained to be either ##|v_x| = v## or ##|v_y|= v##, and then finding the time it takes for the particle to travel through each sector. This will occur when the slope of the ellipse is 45° and the velocities are handed off from the y-component to the x-component
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

A particle moves periodically around an ellipse of equation ##\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1##. You can assume ##a>b##. The ##x## and ##y## components of the particle's velocity can never exceed ##v## at any point. What is the minimum possible period of the periodic motion of the particle?

Homework Equations

Motion in an ellipse. Kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems I could divide the ellipse into sectors and come up with constraints for the time the particle takes to travel in those sectors. I am not sure though how?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jenny Physics said:
It seems I could divide the ellipse into sectors and come up with constraints for the time the particle takes to travel in those sectors. I am not sure though how?
On a given portion of the path, what attribute determines which constraint limits the overall speed?

Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
On a given portion of the path, what attribute determines which constraint limits the overall speed?
In the limit both components of the velocity would be ##v## for a speed of ##\sqrt{2}v##.

Jenny Physics said:
In the limit both components of the velocity would be ##v## for a speed of ##\sqrt{2}v##.
Right, but where on the path does that happen?

Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
Right, but where on the path does that happen?
The two components would be equal to each other when a line connecting the particle to the origin is ##45^{\circ}## with the x-axis?

Jenny Physics said:
The two components would be equal to each other when a line connecting the particle to the origin is ##45^{\circ}## with the x-axis?
Yes.
Does this allow you to make progress?

Edit: blunder by me... fortunately picked up by gneill.

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
Yes.
Is it always true that the components of the velocity are equal at 45 degrees? Or only for an ellipse/circle? (I am a bit confused about the basics here, I intuitively said that at 45 degrees the components are equal but not sure why)

Jenny Physics said:
Is it always true that the components of the velocity are equal at 45 degrees? Or only for an ellipse/circle? (I am a bit confused about the basics here, I intuitively said that at 45 degrees the components are equal but not sure why)
If the speed is v and the direction is at 45 degrees to the axes, what are the x and y components?

Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
If the speed is v and the direction is at 45 degrees to the axes, what are the x and y components?
Ok got it. So I think you are suggesting that I divide the ellipse into 2 regions using lines at 45 degrees. If the angle is smaller than 45 then the y component of the velocity is always bigger than the x component. So I can assume that at its maximum the y component is ##v## in all the range were the angle is smaller than 45 degrees. I need to relate this to time and arc length somehow.

You need to find where the slope of the ellipse is 45°. For an ellipse this will not be at the same location as where a 45° line passing through the origin intercepts the ellipse.

Likes haruspex and Jenny Physics
gneill said:
You need to find where the slope of the ellipse is 45°. For an ellipse this will not be at the same location as where a 45° line passing through the origin intercepts the ellipse.
Good point, I was missing this.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Edit: blunder by me... fortunately picked up by gneill.
For the region where the angle is less than 45, do I assume the vertical velocity is a constant equal to the maximum of ##v##, find the vertical distance the particle moved and find the time by dividing that distance by v?

Jenny Physics said:
For the region where the angle is less than 45, do I assume the vertical velocity is a constant equal to the maximum of ##v##, find the vertical distance the particle moved and find the time by dividing that distance by v?
It depends what angle you mean.
Where the magnitude of the slope exceeds 1 the limiting constraint is the y component.

Likes Jenny Physics and gneill
Jenny Physics said:
Yes, sounds like a good plan. At the critical point where the velocities are equal, you "hand off" the maximum velocity to the x-component.

Edit: I just realized (thanks for the heads-up @haruspex) that by the angle you were referring to the slope of the ellipse. It will be greater than 45° w.r.t. the horizontal until the hand off point. Vertical (so infinite) at the major axis ends, horizontal (so zero) at the minor axis ends.

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics
Jenny Physics said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves periodically around an ellipse of equation ##\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1##. You can assume ##a>b##. The ##x## and ##y## components of the particle's velocity can never exceed ##v## at any point. What is the minimum possible period of the periodic motion of the particle?

Homework Equations

Motion in an ellipse. Kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

You do not say how the velocity varies as you go around the ellipse. Your subsequent workings seem to be assuming that at any point, either ##|v_x| = v## or ##|v_y|= v##, or both. Of course, it is intuitive that such a velocity profile will be needed to minimize the cycle time, but you should at least state that explicitly. It never hurts to point out such things so that the person marking the question can see that you have thought about it.

Likes Jenny Physics and Delta2
I see that you've marked the question as solved. I hope that you appreciate the mathematical elegance of the final solution :smile:

Likes Jenny Physics

1. What is the minimum possible period?

The minimum possible period is the shortest amount of time that an event or phenomenon can occur or repeat itself. It is often referred to as the "fundamental" or "natural" period.

2. How is the minimum possible period calculated?

The minimum possible period is determined by the physical properties and characteristics of the system or process being analyzed. It can be calculated using mathematical equations or through experimental measurements.

3. What factors can affect the minimum possible period?

The minimum possible period can be affected by a variety of factors, including the mass, size, and shape of the system, as well as external forces such as friction, gravity, or other environmental conditions.

4. Why is the concept of minimum possible period important in science?

The concept of minimum possible period is important in science because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems and processes. It also helps us to identify and study fundamental principles and laws that govern the natural world.

5. Can the minimum possible period change over time?

Yes, the minimum possible period can change over time as the system or process undergoes changes or is affected by external factors. It may also change as our understanding and technology advances, allowing us to make more precise measurements and calculations.