Optimizing Puzzle Solutions through Grid Simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle involving a 9x9 grid where the goal is to turn on a specific square. The rules of the puzzle are explained and there is a request for a program or simulation to help determine the fastest solution. The possibility of writing the program oneself is also mentioned and the connection to Conway's Game of Life is brought up. The conversation ends with the confirmation of finding a solution for the puzzle.
barwick11
"Evolving grid" simulation?

I'm not quite sure what to call this problem, but basically, I am trying to solve a puzzle. It works as follows:

• There is a 9x9 grid
  • Each square can either be "on" or "off"
  • At the beginning of the puzzle, the 9 squares dead center of the grid are "on", the rest are "off"
  • The object of the puzzle is to get the top right square "on", it doesn't matter what the other ones are at that point, as soon as it turns "on", puzzle solved
  • You can only turn a square "off", you cannot turn one on.
  • Prior to "starting" the puzzle, you can turn off as many of the original 9 squares you want.
  • Every second (or so), another "evolution" happens in the puzzle, turning some squares on, others off. While this is happening, you can turn squares off, but due to time constraints, you really can only turn off *maybe* one square per evolution. It could be possible to turn off more, but it's not that likely.

So basically, there are obviously rules that govern what happens with each "evolution". I'm about 95% sure that those rules are constant throughout the whole puzzle, so no worries there. I don't exactly know what those rules are, but I've got a pretty good idea.

My big question is, do you guys know of a grid simulation program or something (almost like an othello grid that I can just customize somehow), that I can use to determine the rules behind the puzzle as I play it, and then to simulate the fastest possible solution to the puzzle?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

barwick11 said:
My big question is, do you guys know of a grid simulation program or something (almost like an othello grid that I can just customize somehow), that I can use to determine the rules behind the puzzle as I play it, and then to simulate the fastest possible solution to the puzzle?

Write one yourself. It shouldn't be hard. Throw together a Python script. You could even set it up with a wxPython front end to display the graphics using the number pad to turn squares off.

I've never written anything in python... I could probably write it up in another language, but I thought something out there would already exist that does something like this

barwick11 said:
I've never written anything in python... I could probably write it up in another language, but I thought something out there would already exist that does something like this
Is this a modified form of Conway's Game of Life? It sounds really similar, and there's already lots of code out there for that. (Even the wiki page has animations.)

Last edited:

sweet, that was it, solution was a glider :)

Just curious, what brought this question on?

Related to Optimizing Puzzle Solutions through Grid Simulation

1. What is an evolving grid simulation?

An evolving grid simulation is a computational model that allows for the study and analysis of complex systems that change over time. It involves breaking down a system into smaller units or "cells" that interact with each other based on specific rules, allowing researchers to observe how the system evolves and adapts.

2. What types of systems can be studied with an evolving grid simulation?

An evolving grid simulation can be used to study a wide range of systems, including biological, ecological, social, and economic systems. It can also be applied to physical systems such as weather patterns or traffic flow.

3. How does an evolving grid simulation work?

An evolving grid simulation typically involves creating a virtual grid or lattice, where each cell represents a unit of the system being studied. The cells interact with each other based on predefined rules, and the simulation is run for a specific number of time steps, allowing researchers to observe how the system changes and evolves.

4. What are the benefits of using an evolving grid simulation?

An evolving grid simulation offers several benefits, including the ability to study complex systems that are difficult to observe in real life, the ability to control and manipulate variables to test hypotheses, and the ability to run multiple simulations to compare and analyze results.

5. What are some real-world applications of evolving grid simulations?

Evolving grid simulations have been used in various fields, including biology, ecology, economics, and sociology. They have been used to study patterns of disease spread, population dynamics, financial systems, and social behavior, among others. They also have practical applications, such as predicting the spread of a viral outbreak or optimizing traffic flow in a city.