What can we learn from Texas' power grid failure?

In summary, the Texas grid failed due to low temperatures, and this was exacerbated by the Polar Vortex. The grid failures exposed the state's lack of preparedness for climate change, and Governor Abbott has acknowledged that renewable energy sources were not to blame.
collinsmark said:
This from today, Practical Engineering:

I liked that video. I thought he did a decent job explaining the sequence leading up to the power failures.
We went into this expecting to have some "rolling blackouts" - off for a few hours, then back on again. That would have been manageable. Instead, it went out, then stayed out for 2 days at my house. Then in other neighborhoods a few miles away, it was off for less than 24 hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
Office_Shredder said:
Electricity generators made something like 40 billion dollars in windfall profits. That's probably enough to justify some weather proofing? How much are they supposed to make?

A random Google search suggests texas uses 1 TWh of electricity per day. It also suggests natural gas plants cost about 800 dollars per kW of power they can produce (I picked natural gas because I believe it can turn on and off quickly, exactly what you want to respond to this type of crisis).

If I did my math right (questionable, double check me!) I think you could spend that 40 billion dollars building enough natural gas plants to produce electricity for all of Texas.
It sounds like a lucrative business MORE people should get into, don't you think? Why don't YOU build these generators and run them as YOU see fit? It is far easier to prove a point with an example rather than with things that do not exist: words and ideas.

scottdave said:
I liked that video. I thought he did a decent job explaining the sequence leading up to the power failures.
We went into this expecting to have some "rolling blackouts" - off for a few hours, then back on again. That would have been manageable. Instead, it went out, then stayed out for 2 days at my house. Then in other neighborhoods a few miles away, it was off for less than 24 hours.
No. He only handled the aggregate issues which do nothing to account for all the micro issues involved in this problem.

Here is a simple question to answer regarding this whole debacle: what do you NEED to keep warm during a cold snap?

Apply that question at the individual level and work your way up.