Or when you look for a clip art of a prism

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art Prism
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a prism with a negative index of refraction, which is a concept related to negative-index metamaterials. The popular version of a prism, known as the "logo" worldwide, is often depicted incorrectly. The conversation also touches on using lenses and the general principles of light dispersion.
Borek
Mentor
splitting white light, and turns out refraction is... complicated

1667034728291.png

• Haha
  • Love
Likes hutchphd, russ_watters, jedishrfu and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be possible to make a prism with a negative index of refraction?

One of those images must be a triangular hole through a large block of glass.

Likes DaveC426913
Hornbein said:
Would it be possible to make a prism with a negative index of refraction?
Used them - well, actually senses, but the same idea - in a freshman physics lab I taught. They are air filled, and you make the measurements in a water tank. Concave is focusing.

I think this is the most popular version :wink:
(over 45 million sold according to wikipedia)

1667250320748.png

Last edited:
Likes DaveC426913
Frabjous said:
I think this is the most popular version :wink:
I read somewhere recently, that is the most widely recognized "logo" worldwide.

Likes russ_watters
Its sad to see that the illustrations are either poor or flat out wrong and that they got published anyway.

gmax137 said:
I read somewhere
:wink:
gmax137 said:
the most widely recognized "logo" worldwide.
I'm not sure I buy that. There's some stiff competition.
1667257882816.png

1667257949184.png

1667257910915.png

1667258031150.png

Likes berkeman, gmax137 and Hornbein
Vanadium 50 said:
Used them - well, actually senses, but the same idea - in a freshman physics lab I taught. They are air filled, and you make the measurements in a water tank. Concave is focusing.
I presume you meant lenses.
I recall teaching a sound lab using convex mylar helium filled balloons in air as diverging lenses.

There are general principles that make the light dispersion itself monotonic. As I recall this follows from the Kramers-Kronig relations.

hutchphd said:
I presume you meant lenses.
Yes, thanks.

1. What is a prism?

A prism is a transparent object with flat, polished surfaces that refract or bend light. It has a triangular shape and is often used to separate white light into its component colors.

2. How is a prism used?

Prisms are commonly used in optics and physics experiments to demonstrate the properties of light. They are also used in photography, binoculars, and other optical devices to correct and enhance images.

3. What are the different types of prisms?

There are several types of prisms, including equilateral, right angle, and dispersing prisms. Equilateral prisms have three equal sides and are used for dispersing light. Right angle prisms have a 90-degree angle and are used to reflect light at a 90-degree angle. Dispersing prisms have a triangular shape and are used to separate light into different wavelengths.

4. How do you create a prism?

Prisms can be created by cutting a triangular piece of glass or plastic and polishing the surfaces. They can also be made by pouring a liquid polymer into a triangular mold and allowing it to harden.

5. What are some real-life examples of prisms?

Some common examples of prisms in everyday life include rainbows, kaleidoscopes, and the lenses in eyeglasses. They are also used in streetlights, chandeliers, and other decorative lighting fixtures.