Orbital dynamics: "The familiar arc-cosine form"

In summary, Joos discusses planetary motion and introduces an expression for arc-cosine form in the context of planetary motion. However, the speaker is unable to confirm the expression and attempts to approach the problem by rewriting the expression and using trigonometric identities. They eventually realize their mistake and correct it, but are still unsure of how the "familiar form" was derived.
Odious Suspect
This arises in Joos's discussion of planetary motion, at the following URL:

https://books.google.com/books?id=wFl2MkpcY6kC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA91#v=onepage&q&f=false

I've modified the notation in obvious ways.

He asserts that the following expression is "the familiar arc-cosine form":

$$-\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{a+2 bx-hx^2}} \, dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{h}}\arccos \left[\frac{b-hx}{\sqrt{a+b^2h}}\right]$$

It's not familiar to me, and I am having trouble confirming it. The following is the approach I have taken.

$$\theta =\arccos (u)$$

$$\cos (\theta )=u$$

$$-\sin (\theta ) \frac{d\theta }{dx}=\frac{du}{dx}$$

$$\frac{d\theta }{dx}=-\frac{\frac{du}{dx}}{\sin (\theta )}=-\frac{\frac{du}{dx}}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}$$

$$u=\frac{b-hx}{\sqrt{a+b^2h}}$$

$$\frac{du}{dx}=-h$$

$$\frac{d\theta }{h}=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}=\frac{d\arccos (u)}{h}$$

I seem to lose a minus sign that appears in the original form, but that may not be significant.

$$\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} \, dx=\frac{\arccos (u)}{h}$$

$$\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} \, dx=\frac{\arccos (u)}{h}$$

$$\int \frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{1-u^2}}{\sqrt{h}}} \, dx=\frac{\arccos (u)}{\sqrt{h}}$$

$$\frac{1-u^2}{h}=\frac{1}{h}\left(1-\frac{b^2-2 bhh+x^2x^2}{a+b^2h}\right)=\frac{a+b^2h-\left(b^2-2 bhh+x^2x^2\right)}{h\left(a+b^2h\right)}=\frac{a2 b+hhx-h^2x^2}{h\left(a+b^2h\right)}=\frac{a+2 bx-hx^2}{a+b^2h}$$

That's where I get stuck. Notice that the numerator in the final expression is identical to the radicand of the denominator of the lhs in the first equation. In order for that to work, ##a+b^2h=1## must hold. No matter how I try, I just can't seem to pound it into submission.

$$C+\theta =-\int \frac{2 c}{\sqrt{\left(v_0^2-\frac{2 GM}{r_0}\right)+2 GM\mu -4 c^2 \mu ^2}} \, d\mu$$

$$-\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{a+2 bx-hx^2}} \, dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{h}}\arccos \left[\frac{b-hx}{\sqrt{a+b^2h}}\right]$$

$$x=\mu ;\text{Null}h=4 c^2;\text{Null}a=v_0^2-\frac{2 GM}{r_0};b=GM$$

$$a+b^2h=G^2 M^2+\left(V_0^2-\frac{2 GM}{r_0}\right)4c^2$$

How might I approach this problem effectively?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops! ##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-h}{\sqrt{a+b^2h}}##. I guess I have to embarrass myself before I can find my mistakes. I think that correction will get me most of the way there.

I would still like to understand where that "familiar form" came from. That is, how is it arrived at "working forward"?

What is orbital dynamics?

Orbital dynamics is the study of the motion of objects in orbit around a central body, such as planets orbiting around the sun.

What is the "arc-cosine form" in orbital dynamics?

The arc-cosine form, also known as the Lambert’s cosine law, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the distance and velocity of an object in orbit. It is often used in orbital mechanics calculations.

Why is the "arc-cosine form" important in orbital dynamics?

The arc-cosine form is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately calculate the trajectory and velocity of objects in orbit, which is crucial for space missions and satellite operations.

How is the "arc-cosine form" derived?

The arc-cosine form is derived from the law of universal gravitation, which states that the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are some real-world applications of the "arc-cosine form" in orbital dynamics?

The arc-cosine form is used in a variety of applications, including satellite and spacecraft trajectory planning, orbit determination, and rendezvous and docking maneuvers. It is also used in the analysis of natural celestial phenomena, such as the orbit of comets and asteroids.