Find the value of the definite integral

In summary: However, as long as the limits are known, the formulas for the elliptic integrals are quite simple.In summary, the author is thinking about integration and is going slow because he has other things to do. He is thinking about integration and is considering the following:-The equation for the sqrt function-The substitution u = t + 1 for the general case-The three cases for when t is between 0 and 2-The elliptic integral for u = sinh x
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
$$\int_0^2 \sqrt{(8t^2+16t+16)} dt$$
Relevant Equations
Integration
Looking at integration today...i will go slow as i also try finish other errands anyway; i am thinking along these lines;

$$\int \sqrt{(ax^2+bx+c)} dx=\sqrt{a}\int \sqrt{\left[x+\frac{b}{2a}\right]^2+\left[\frac{4ac-b^2}{4a^2}\right]} dx$$

Therefore,

$$\int_0^2 \sqrt{(8t^2+16t+16)} dt=\sqrt8\int_0^2[\sqrt{[(t+1)^2+1^2} ]dt$$

Let ##u=t+1## then ##du=dt##

$$\sqrt8\int_0^2[\sqrt{u^2+1} ]du$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Completing the square is the right idea, but don't treat the general case. The substitution depends on what is left after making a linear change of variable and extracting a positive common factor. That leaves three cases to consider: [tex]
\begin{split}
\int \sqrt{X^2 + C^2}\,dX & \Rightarrow X = Cf_1(u) \\
\int \sqrt{X^2 - C^2}\,dX & \Rightarrow X = Cf_2(u) \\
\int \sqrt{C^2 - X^2}\,dX & \Rightarrow X = Cf_3(u)
\end{split}[/tex]

• Informative
Likes chwala
chwala said:
chwala said:
This integral is ripe for a trig substitution.

Likes PhDeezNutz and chwala
:smile::cool::cool: aaaaaaahahaha...seen it @Mark44

Thanks to our physics forum in particular;... recent study of hyperbolic functions... I'll post my working later...we shall integrate ##\sinh^2x ##wrt ##x## ...arrive at solution ##12.64##...

Last edited:
chwala said:
Homework Statement: $$\int_0^2 \sqrt{(8t^2+16t+16)} dt$$
Relevant Equations: Integration

Looking at integration today...i will go slow as i also try finish other errands anyway; i am thinking along these lines;

$$\int \sqrt{(ax^2+bx+c)} dx=\sqrt{a}\int \sqrt{\left[x+\frac{b}{2a}\right]^2+\left[\frac{4ac-b^2}{4a^2}\right]} dx$$

Therefore,

If [itex]t[/itex] is between 0 and 2, then [itex]u = 1 + t [/itex] is between 1 and 3.

Likes chwala
Therefore,

$$\sqrt8\int_1^3[\sqrt{u^2+1} ]du$$

Let ##u=\sinh x ⇒du=\cosh x dx ##

$$\sqrt8\int_1^3[\sqrt{u^2+1} ]du=\sqrt8\int_{0.881}^{1.8184}\sqrt{\cosh^2 x} ⋅\cosh x dx=\sqrt8\int_{0.881}^{1.8184}\cosh^2 x dx$$

$$=\sqrt8\left[\frac{1}{2}\left[x+\frac{1}{2} \sinh (2x)\right]\right]_{0.881}^{1.8184}=\sqrt8\left[5.652-1.147\right]=\sqrt8×4.505=12.742$$

Bingo!!:cool: :biggrin::bow:

Last edited:
Bringing me to my next question, How do we handle cubic or quartic integration under square roots or even cube roots?...should i come up with a question on a new thread?

Note that if [itex]u = \sinh x[/itex] then [tex]x = \ln\left(u + \sqrt{1 + u^2}\right)[/tex] and [tex]
\sinh 2x = 2\sinh x \cosh x = 2u\sqrt{1 + u^2}.[/tex] This leads to the exact result [tex]
\sqrt{2} \ln\left(-3 + 3\sqrt{2} + 2\sqrt{5} - \sqrt{10} \right) + 6\sqrt{5} - 2.[/tex]

• Informative
Likes SammyS and chwala
chwala said:
Bringing me to my next question, How do we handle cubic or quartic integration under square roots or even cube roots?...should i come up with a question on a new thread?
These are the elliptic integrals. Their value could only be determined numerically for definite integrals (i.e. with limits).

Likes chwala

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used in calculus to solve problems related to area, volume, and other quantities.

2. How do you find the value of a definite integral?

To find the value of a definite integral, you need to first identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various methods such as the Riemann sum, the trapezoidal rule, or the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and find its numerical value.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give you a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give you a function. In other words, a definite integral is a number, while an indefinite integral is a family of functions.

4. What are the applications of finding the value of a definite integral?

Finding the value of a definite integral has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to calculate areas, volumes, work, and even probabilities in real-world problems.

5. What are some techniques for solving definite integrals?

Some common techniques for solving definite integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Additionally, numerical methods such as Simpson's rule and Monte Carlo integration can also be used to find the value of a definite integral.