[Orbital mechanics] Asteroid angular momentum

In summary, the asteroid is rotating on the B axis with angular velocity w2=3 rad/s, which came first, t2 or t1?
Jose Confraria

Homework Statement

: [/B]
A vector is perpendicular to B vector, and they stay still, relative to the body. No torque is applied on the asteroid, although he dissipates very little rotational kinetic energy, due to drag on dust clouds. It was also determined that the asteroid is a long body axisymmetric from inercia's point of view. In a certain instant, let's call it t1, the body was rotating in A axis with angular velocity w1 = 2 rad/s. In another instant, t2 ( 1 and 2 are not related to which time is first) we see that apparently the asteroid is rotating on B axis with angular velocity w2=3 rad/s. Knowing that the angular momentum of the asteroid relative to the center of mass is constant H0=10^10 kg.m^2/s and was kept constant between both instants and that the time between them is very large, calculate the inertial tensor on the principal axis. And which time came first, t2 or t1?
IH84A1P.png

Homework Equations

[tex]H_{i}=I_{ij}w_j[/tex]
2CjqNl2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already tryed anything i can remember. Been on more than 3 hours thinking about this exercise.
Although, i think i don't even know where to start. d/dt H is 0 as there is no torque applied on the asteroid. But after that what do i know? A and B are not on the pricipal axis.
I am just completely stuck in this exercise like something is missing.

Precession is constant => psi=H/A. on principal axis
Nutation angle is constant

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmm given the way that the problem is written, they are the principal axis (see the indication that one instant is very far apart from the other giving some clue about stability and equilibrium). Try doing it now!

I also agree with you. There is no other way this can have a solution, but if that's the case it is very simple. Oh well i guess this is answered.

Related to [Orbital mechanics] Asteroid angular momentum

1. What is angular momentum in orbital mechanics?

Angular momentum is a measure of how much rotational motion an object has. In orbital mechanics, it refers to the amount of rotational motion that an asteroid has as it orbits around a larger object, such as a planet or the sun.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for an asteroid?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the asteroid by its velocity and distance from the center of the object it is orbiting. This is known as the angular momentum vector, which not only takes into account the amount of rotational motion, but also the direction of the rotation.

3. How does angular momentum affect an asteroid's orbit?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in an asteroid's orbit. The higher the angular momentum, the more stable the orbit will be. This means that asteroids with higher angular momentum are less likely to be pulled out of their orbit by the gravitational pull of other objects.

4. Can angular momentum change over time for an asteroid?

Yes, angular momentum can change for an asteroid over time. This can happen through interactions with other objects, such as collisions or close encounters with other asteroids or planets. However, the total amount of angular momentum in a closed system will remain constant.

5. How does understanding asteroid angular momentum help in space exploration?

Understanding asteroid angular momentum is crucial for space exploration because it allows us to predict the paths of asteroids and plan missions accordingly. It also helps us understand the dynamics of the solar system and how objects interact with each other. Additionally, knowing the angular momentum of an asteroid can help us determine its composition and potential resources that could be utilized in future space missions.