Orbital vs. Angular Speed: What's the Difference in Circular Motion?

In summary, orbital speed and angular speed are two different measurements used to describe the motion of an object or star in a circular orbit. Orbital speed refers to the distance traveled per unit time, while angular speed refers to the angle traveled per unit time. They are related by the radius of the orbit, with orbital speed being equal to the radius multiplied by the angular speed. It is important to clarify which motion is being referred to when using these terms.
alybtd
Is there a difference between orbital speed and angular speed when an object or star is considered to be in a circular motion around another?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, might want to post your Q in the proper area.. Welcome anyway..:redface:

Electron Spin said:
Welcome, might want to post your Q in the proper area.. Welcome anyway..:redface:
Thanks!
Where should I ask that?

alybtd said:
Where should I ask that?

Depends if its a homework question or a general question. Respectively, homework or astronomy sections would work.

I would do a search here. I am sure this question has been asked about 3 million times! :smile:

Electron Spin

Welcome to PF!

alybtd said:
Thanks!
Where should I ask that?

I've moved the thread to the General Physics forum.

Likes Electron Spin
Electron Spin said:
Depends if its a homework question or a general question. Respectively, homework or astronomy sections would work.

I would do a search here. I am sure this question has been asked about 3 million times! :smile:

Electron Spin

Thank you! I kinda found a way to figure it out and I found the right answer to what I was looking for, so yeah thanks!

Drakkith said:
Welcome to PF!
I've moved the thread to the General Physics forum.

Thank you!

Likes Electron Spin
alybtd said:
Is there a difference between orbital speed and angular speed when an object or star is considered to be in a circular motion around another?

- Orbital speed means the speed transverse to the orbit. It is speed in the normal usage: distance traveled per unit time. It has units like m/s. For a circular orbit it is the circumference over the orbital period.
- angular speed differs in that it is the angle traveled per unit time. It has units like rad/s. For a circular orbit it is 2 π / the orbital period. Note: Since it is "transverse to the orbit" the direction at any point in time is well defined and this is often called orbital velocity.

The two are related by the radius of the orbit. For a circular orbit of radius r
Orbital speed = r * angular speed.

Caveat: if you are hearing both these phrases be careful that the speaker is using them both in reference to the same rotational motion. They might be using one in reference to the orbit and the other in reference to the spin or something like that.

Related to Orbital vs. Angular Speed: What's the Difference in Circular Motion?

What is orbital speed?

Orbital speed, also known as tangential speed, is the speed at which an object moves along its orbital path around another object. It is the distance traveled by the object in a given amount of time.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate of change of angular displacement of an object. It is the speed at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed point.

How do orbital speed and angular speed relate?

Orbital speed and angular speed are related because they both measure the movement of an object in circular motion. Orbital speed is the linear speed of an object moving along its orbital path, while angular speed is the rotational speed of an object around a fixed point.

What is the difference between orbital speed and tangential speed?

Orbital speed and tangential speed are the same thing. Tangential speed is another term used to describe the speed at which an object moves along its circular path.

How do you calculate orbital speed and angular speed?

Orbital speed can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central object, and r is the distance between the two objects. Angular speed can be calculated using the formula ω = θ/t, where θ is the angular displacement and t is the time taken.