Order of "Extracted Factors" in SPSS Factor Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of changing the order of columns in an input data file on the results of factor analysis (FA) in SPSS. It is clarified that the order of columns in the input data file does not affect the factors determined by FA, as they are determined by a statistical calculation. The factors are a subset of the input data and are listed in order of greatest to least in the "Total Variance Explained" table. The tables used to trace back the factors to the input data are the "Component Matrix," "Pattern Matrix," or "Structure Matrix."
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am doing some FA on SPSS. I entered 9 columns from an Excel file into
SPSS. I am just not sure of how the order of the initial columns corresponds to the order
of the components that have been extracted; specifically, in the "total Variance Explained" section of the outputs. Would someone please please help me figure it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The order of the columns of input data should have no effect on the order of the factors determined by FA. The factors are determined strictly by a statistical calculation that has nothing to do with the order of columns in the input data file. To test that, try changing the order of columns of the input file and run the SPSS program again. The FA process should not change.

Likes WWGD
Thanks, but, aren't the factors a subset of the input data? EDIT: I mean, don't we keep, out of the input factors, those that explain the most variability ( or whose eigenvalue in the correlation matrix is 1 or greater)?

I should have been more careful in how I said things. If the order of the input columns are changed, the FA results should remain statistically unchanged, although the FA results may refer to columns of data using the new column positions. That may not be answering your question. I should probably review how SPSS presents its results before I try to say more.

Likes WWGD
The listing of the factors in the "Total Variance Explained" table are listed in order of greatest to least. When you select the top one, it should trace back to the same information regardless of the order of columns in the input file. That factor can be traced back to the columns by referring to either the "Component Matrix" table, the "Pattern Matrix" table, or the "Structure Matrix" table, depending on the particular method you are using. Large numbers in the table indicate the columns of input data that make up most of that factor.

Likes WWGD

1. What is the purpose of "Order of Extracted Factors" in SPSS Factor Analysis?

The "Order of Extracted Factors" in SPSS Factor Analysis is used to determine the number of factors that best explain the relationship between a set of variables. It helps to identify the most important factors and their relative importance in the data set.

2. How is the "Order of Extracted Factors" determined in SPSS Factor Analysis?

The "Order of Extracted Factors" is determined by examining the eigenvalues, which represent the amount of variance explained by each factor. Factors with eigenvalues greater than 1 are considered significant and are included in the analysis. The scree plot, a graphical representation of the eigenvalues, can also be used to determine the number of factors to be extracted.

3. Can the "Order of Extracted Factors" be changed in SPSS Factor Analysis?

Yes, the "Order of Extracted Factors" can be changed in SPSS Factor Analysis by specifying a different number of factors to be extracted. However, it is important to carefully consider the number of factors to be extracted as it can significantly affect the results and interpretation of the analysis.

4. What is the significance of the "Order of Extracted Factors" in interpreting the results of SPSS Factor Analysis?

The "Order of Extracted Factors" is significant in interpreting the results of SPSS Factor Analysis as it provides information on the number of factors that are included in the analysis. This information can help to understand the underlying structure of the data and identify the most important factors that explain the relationships between variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Order of Extracted Factors" in SPSS Factor Analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the "Order of Extracted Factors" in SPSS Factor Analysis. It is important to note that the number of factors extracted is a subjective decision and may vary depending on the data set and research question. Additionally, the interpretation of the results can be affected by the chosen number of factors, so it is important to carefully consider the results in conjunction with other statistical tests and theoretical knowledge.