Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers .... Sohrab, Exercise 2.1.10 (c) ....

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with Exercise 2.1.10 Part (c) in Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers in the book "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition) by Houshang H. Sohrab. They are unsure about what assumptions to make for the exercise and are considering using the real numbers as defined by an ordered field. They also mention some additional exercises that may be useful for the exercise in question. A person named Euge offers some hints for solving the exercise using proof by induction and part (b) of the exercise. The person asking for help follows Euge's advice and provides a possible solution, which is then confirmed as correct.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with Exercise 2.1.10 Part (c) ... ...

Exercise 2.1.10 Part (c) reads as follows:View attachment 7216I am unable to make a meaningful start on Exercise 2.1.10 (c) ... can someone please help ...

PeterNOTE 1: I am not sure what assumptions Sohrab wants us to make about \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}, \mathbb{N_0}, \mathbb{Z}\) and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) for these exercises ... he has not developed/constructed the natural numbers, the integers or the rationals ... but simply named them as sets and done little more than indicate notation for them ... as follows:View attachment 7217
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7218So I am trying to prove the exercise using the real numbers as defined by an ordered field (which, I think, can be shown to contain a copy of each of the sets \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}, \mathbb{N_0}, \mathbb{Z}\) and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) ... )

Mind you ... after reading the start of Sohrab's Appendix A I am again a little uncertain as to what to assume when I read the following ... (mind you, this is stated well after the section where Exercise 2.1.10 (b) appears ... )View attachment 7219I would, however like, as I have previously indicated, to prove the exercise using the real numbers as defined by an ordered field ...

NOTE 2: Sohrab defines \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} \) as a field with binary operations of addition and multiplication ... he then goes on to define subtraction, division and exponentiation as follows:View attachment 7220Sohrab's definition of the usual ordering on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) plus some of the properties following are as follows ...View attachment 7221
View attachment 7222Hope someone can help ...

Peter*** EDIT *** I am concerned that Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 contain properties of addition, multiplication and inverses that flow directly form the properties of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) as a field, ... ... and these properties could possibly be useful in the exercise ... so I am providing Sohrab's description of the field of real numbers and the exercises that follow it, namely Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 ... View attachment 7223
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7224

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Proof by induction and part (b) of the exercise.

Euge said:
Hint: Proof by induction and part (b) of the exercise.
Thanks for the help, Euge ...

An attempt to follow your advice follows ...To show that \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N} \Longrightarrow n \gt 0\) ... ... ... ... (1)Now ... the above statement (1) is true for \(\displaystyle n = 1\) by Exercise 2.1.10 (b)

Suppose now that it is true for some \(\displaystyle k \in \mathbb{N}\)...

Then \(\displaystyle k \in P\) ...

... but we have \(\displaystyle 1 \in P\)

Therefore \(\displaystyle k + 1 \in P\) ... ... ... by Order Axiom \(\displaystyle O_1\)

Therefore (1) is true for all \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N}\)...Is that correct?

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks for the help, Euge ...

An attempt to follow your advice follows ...To show that \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N} \Longrightarrow n \gt 0\) ... ... ... ... (1)Now ... the above statement (1) is true for \(\displaystyle n = 1\) by Exercise 2.1.10 (b)

Suppose now that it is true for some \(\displaystyle k \in \mathbb{N}\)...

Then \(\displaystyle k \in P\) ...

... but we have \(\displaystyle 1 \in P\)

Therefore \(\displaystyle k + 1 \in P\) ... ... ... by Order Axiom \(\displaystyle O_1\)

Therefore (1) is true for all \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N}\)...Is that correct?

Peter

Yes it is

What is the definition of ordering on the set of real numbers?

Ordering on the set of real numbers refers to the arrangement of real numbers in a specific sequence based on their magnitude. This means that any two real numbers can be compared and determined which one is larger or smaller.

What is the importance of ordering on the set of real numbers?

Ordering on the set of real numbers is important because it allows us to compare and rank numbers, which is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications. It also helps us to understand the relationships between different numbers and perform operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How is the ordering of real numbers represented?

The ordering of real numbers is represented using the inequality symbols: <, >, ≤, and ≥. The symbol < means "less than", > means "greater than", ≤ means "less than or equal to", and ≥ means "greater than or equal to". These symbols are used to compare two real numbers and determine their relative positions on the number line.

What is the difference between a strict and non-strict inequality?

In a strict inequality, the symbols < and > are used to represent "less than" and "greater than" respectively. This means that the two numbers being compared cannot be equal. In a non-strict inequality, the symbols ≤ and ≥ are used, which means that the two numbers can be equal.

How do we determine the ordering of rational and irrational numbers?

Both rational and irrational numbers can be ordered on the number line by comparing their decimal representations. If the decimal representation of two numbers is the same up to a certain point, then they are considered equal. If the decimal representation of one number is smaller than the other, then it is considered to be less than the other. However, it is important to note that irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a finite decimal, so their decimal representations are approximations.