Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers .... Sohrab, Exercise 2.1.10 (1) ....

In summary, Sohrab's book covers the definition and properties of the real numbers, including the ordering on the set of real numbers. He provides an explanation of the field of real numbers and two exercises to demonstrate the ordering and properties. After completing these exercises, he provides a solution to the problem of proving that a^2>0.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers ... Sohrab, Exercise 2.1.10 (a) ...

I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with Exercise 2.1.10 Part (a) ... ...

Exercise 2.1.10 Part (a) reads as follows:

View attachment 7199I am unable to make a meaningful start on Exercise 2.1.10 (a) ... can someone please help ...

PeterNOTE: Sohrab defines [FONT=MathJax_AMS]R[/FONT] as a field with binary operations of addition and multiplication ... he then goes on to define subtraction, division and exponentiation as follows:View attachment 7200Sohrab's definition of the usual ordering on [FONT=MathJax_AMS]R[/FONT] plus some of the properties following are as follows ...View attachment 7201
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7202Hope someone can help ...

Peter*** EDIT *** I am concerned that Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 contain properties of addition, multiplication and inverses that flow directly form the properties of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) as a field, ... ... and these properties could possibly be useful in the exercise ... so I am providing Sohrab's description of the field of real numbers and the exercises that follow it, namely Exercises 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 ... https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7211
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7212

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After a little reflection ... I have come to the following solution ...To show that \(\displaystyle a \in \mathbb{R} \ \{ 0 \} \Longrightarrow a^2 \gt 0\) ... ...First consider \(\displaystyle a \gt 0\) ...

\(\displaystyle a \gt 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a \in P\) (see definition of \(\displaystyle P\) in scanned text in above post, essentially \(\displaystyle P\) is the positive reals ...)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a \cdot a \in P \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a^2 \in P\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a^2 \gt 0 \)
Next, consider \(\displaystyle a \lt 0\) ... \(\displaystyle a \lt 0\)

Put \(\displaystyle a = -b\) ... then ...

\(\displaystyle (-b) \cdot (-b) \)

\(\displaystyle = (-1) \cdot (b) \cdot (-1) \cdot (b)\) (see Exercise 2.1.1 (2) ... scanned text below)

\(\displaystyle = (-1) \cdot (-1) \cdot (b) \cdot (b)\) (commutativity of multiplication in a field ... see scanned text below ...)

\(\displaystyle = (1) \cdot (b) \cdot (b)\) (Exercise 2.1.1 (4) ... see scanned text below ... )

= \(\displaystyle b^2\) where \(\displaystyle b\) is positive and so \(\displaystyle b^2 \gt 0\) ...Is that correct?

Please critique the proof ...

Note: Not at all sure I treated \(\displaystyle a \lt 0\) validly or well ...

Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
After a little reflection ... I have come to the following solution ...To show that \(\displaystyle a \in \mathbb{R} \ \{ 0 \} \Longrightarrow a^2 \gt 0\) ... ...First consider \(\displaystyle a \gt 0\) ...

\(\displaystyle a \gt 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a \in P\) (see definition of \(\displaystyle P\) in scanned text in above post, essentially \(\displaystyle P\) is the positive reals ...)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a \cdot a \in P \)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a^2 \in P\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow a^2 \gt 0 \)
Next, consider \(\displaystyle a \lt 0\) ... \(\displaystyle a \lt 0\)

Put \(\displaystyle a = -b\) ... then ...

\(\displaystyle (-b) \cdot (-b) \)

\(\displaystyle = (-1) \cdot (b) \cdot (-1) \cdot (b)\) (see Exercise 2.1.1 (2) ... scanned text below)

\(\displaystyle = (-1) \cdot (-1) \cdot (b) \cdot (b)\) (commutativity of multiplication in a field ... see scanned text below ...)

\(\displaystyle = (1) \cdot (b) \cdot (b)\) (Exercise 2.1.1 (4) ... see scanned text below ... )

= \(\displaystyle b^2\) where \(\displaystyle b\) is positive and so \(\displaystyle b^2 \gt 0\) ...Is that correct?

Please critique the proof ...

Note: Not at all sure I treated \(\displaystyle a \lt 0\) validly or well ...

Peter

The 1st part of your proof is correct but not complete

For the 2nd proof

Proof:

1) 0>a.................assumption

2) (0-a)εP................By definition (a-b)εP<=> a>b

3) [0+(-a)]εP..............By definition 2.1.4 (subtraction)

4) (-a)εP...............By axiom A3

5) (-a)(-a)εP...............By axiom O2

Now we prove that (-a)(-a) = a^2 by using the equality axioms of the real Nos

6) [(-1)a][(-1)a]..............By using exercise 2.1.1(2)

7) [((-1)a)(-1)]a..............By axiom M2

8) [(a(-1))(-1)]a..............By axiom M1

9) [a((-1)(-1)]a..............By axiom M2

10) [a.1]a...............By exercise 2.1.1(4)

11) a.a.................By axiom M3

12) a^2.................By definition 2.1.4

13) But \(\displaystyle a^2=a^2-0\)
You can prove that ,I suppose.
So we have ,(a^2-0)εP => a^2>0

Last edited:

Related to Ordering on the Set of Real Numbers .... Sohrab, Exercise 2.1.10 (1) ....

1. What is the set of real numbers?

The set of real numbers includes all rational and irrational numbers, such as whole numbers, integers, fractions, decimals, and square roots of non-perfect squares. It is represented by the symbol ℝ.

2. What is meant by "ordering" on the set of real numbers?

Ordering on the set of real numbers means arranging the numbers in a specific order, usually from least to greatest or vice versa. This allows us to compare and rank numbers based on their magnitudes.

3. How do you order real numbers?

To order real numbers, you can use a number line or compare the numbers using the greater than and less than symbols (> and <). Start by comparing the whole numbers, then the decimals, and finally the irrational numbers.

4. What is Exercise 2.1.10 (1) about?

Exercise 2.1.10 (1) is a specific problem or task from Sohrab's book that involves ordering real numbers. It may require you to compare and arrange a set of numbers in a specific order.

5. Why is it important to understand ordering on the set of real numbers?

Understanding ordering on the set of real numbers is important because it helps us make sense of the numbers and their relationship to each other. It also allows us to perform mathematical operations, such as addition and subtraction, in a logical and organized manner.