Ordinary genius vs. magician

• Thread starter rsq_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of two types of geniuses - the "ordinary" and the "magicians". The "ordinary" genius is one that can be understood and replicated by others, while the "magicians" remain mysterious even after their work is understood. The conversation also touches on the idea of communication skills and how they can impact the perception of a person's genius.
rsq_a
What are your thoughts on this quote:
There are two kinds of geniuses: the "ordinary" and the "magicians." An ordinary genius is a fellow whom you and I would be just as good as, if we were only many times better. There is no mystery as to how his mind works. Once we understand what they've done, we feel certain that we, too, could have done it. It is different with the magicians. Even after we understand what they have done it is completely dark. Richard Feynman is a magician of the highest calibre.

Mark Kac
(in Physics Today)

Physics news on Phys.org
I must agree: I've worked with bona-fide 'ordinary' genius and, at a stretch, I could just about follow their work. The other variety re-make paradigms with disconcerting bounds...

Would someone with a PhD not seem like a magician to a 14-year old high school student? How does one distinguish in that case? Similarly, suppose you worked with someone who didn't have great communication skills. However, their inability to communicate their thought process (and empathize with other's lack of understanding) made their insights more mysterious than they might be, had someone who was better at explaining performed the same steps.

In that case, would you not be attributing a magician's status to an imposter?

Last edited:
I have been studying mathematics all my life, and have met many outstanding ones, but still the writings of Riemann remain so far beyond anything I have ever encountered, in terms of their being far, far ahead of their time, that this quote is meaningful to me. It's a little like the difference in someone who can run faster than me and someone who can soar in the air effortlessly, or teleport themselves.

No such thing as magic!

buzzkill!

rsq_a said:
Would someone with a PhD not seem like a magician to a 14-year old high school student? How does one distinguish in that case? Similarly, suppose you worked with someone who didn't have great communication skills. However, their inability to communicate their thought process (and empathize with other's lack of understanding) made their insights more mysterious than they might be, had someone who was better at explaining performed the same steps.

In that case, would you not be attributing a magician's status to an imposter?

We aren't comparing a PhD with a 14 year old. We are comparing PhD's with PhD's. You are changing the question. Also, it has nothing to do with lack of communication skills. Einstein, Feyman, Reimann, etc could all communicate at the highest level.

1. What is the difference between an ordinary genius and a magician?

An ordinary genius is someone who has a high level of intelligence and is able to excel in a specific field or area of study. A magician, on the other hand, uses illusion and sleight of hand to create the appearance of extraordinary abilities.

2. Can an ordinary genius become a magician?

While an ordinary genius may possess the intelligence and skills to learn the techniques of magic, becoming a magician requires a different set of skills and talents such as showmanship and performance abilities.

3. Is there a link between being an ordinary genius and having magical abilities?

No, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that being an ordinary genius has any correlation with possessing magical abilities. Magic is an art form that requires practice and skill, rather than innate intelligence.

4. Are there any famous examples of ordinary geniuses who also had magical talents?

There are some individuals who have excelled in both areas, such as famed physicist and inventor Nikola Tesla, who was also known for his interest in magic and illusions. However, these individuals are rare and their magical abilities are often not on the same level as their genius in their respective fields.

5. Can an ordinary person learn to perform magic like a magician?

Yes, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn the techniques and skills of magic. However, becoming a successful magician also requires showmanship, charisma, and the ability to engage and entertain an audience.