Organic chem: draw this in line angle structure

In summary, the conversation involved a student struggling with drawing a condensed formula in line angle structure. They were initially confused by the CC(CH2)3 part and thought they had to add a cyclobutanyl group, but they were ultimately able to correctly draw the formula as CH3CH2OC(O)CH2CC(CH2)3CH(CN)CHO, with the CC representing a triple bond. The expert clarified that the CC should be written as C\equiv C, not C=C.
alphaj

Homework Statement

Draw this formula in line angle structure. CH3CH2OC(O)CH2CC(CH2)3CH(CN)CHO.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused with the CC(CH2)3 part of the condensed formula. I knew I got it wrong the first time I drew it because I couldn't just tag three methyl groups to carbon 7. The only way I think I can do that is by adding a cyclobutanyl group! But, I'm afraid that might be misrepresenting the given formula. I think a cyclobutanyl group included would have the condensed formula written as CH3CH2OC(O)CH2C(C(CH2)3)CH(CN)CHO.
upload_2017-9-24_16-37-58.png

Physics news on Phys.org
(CH2)3 is just three -CH2- groups in line.

if memory serves me correctly, the [itex] CC [/itex] is actually [itex] C=C[/itex] and the [itex] (CH_2)_3[/itex] is
[itex] CH_2CH_2CH_2[/itex]

Dr Transport said:
the [itex] CC [/itex] is actually [itex] C=C[/itex]

Close, but no, it is not a double bond.

Borek said:
Close, but no, it is not a double bond.
memory failed me...

upload_2017-9-24_20-59-1.png

Thanks for your help! I think I got it now!

alphaj said:
CH3CH2OC(O)CH2CC(CH2)3CH(CN)CHO

Yes, looks like you are right.

705e429997f8df570d08.png

@Dr Transport - you were close, it was just [itex]C\equiv C[/itex], not [itex]C=C[/itex].

Borek said:
Yes, looks like you are right.

View attachment 211658

@Dr Transport - you were close, it was just [itex]C\equiv C[/itex], not [itex]C=C[/itex].
dorked by two hydrogens...

Likes alphaj

1. What is a line angle structure in organic chemistry?

A line angle structure is a way to represent the three-dimensional structure of a molecule in two dimensions. It uses lines and angles to show the bonds between atoms and the arrangement of atoms in the molecule.

2. How do I draw a line angle structure?

To draw a line angle structure, start by identifying the number of carbon atoms in the molecule. Then, draw a line for each bond between carbon atoms and add the appropriate number of hydrogen atoms bonded to each carbon. Finally, add any other atoms or functional groups as needed.

3. How is a double bond represented in a line angle structure?

A double bond is represented by drawing two parallel lines between the two carbon atoms involved. Each line represents one bond, so a double bond has a total of four electrons being shared between the two atoms.

4. What is the purpose of using line angle structures?

Line angle structures are useful for simplifying the representation of complex molecules and for identifying the connectivity between atoms. They also allow for easier comparison and analysis of different molecules.

5. Can I use line angle structures for any type of molecule?

Line angle structures are most commonly used for organic molecules, which are compounds containing carbon atoms. However, they can also be used for inorganic molecules, such as carbon dioxide, as long as the atoms and bonds can be accurately represented in two dimensions.