Organic Chemistry - Polymerization of Propene to Polypropylene

In summary, the conversation discusses the polymerization of propene to polypropylene through a radical mechanism. The individual is seeking help to complete the propagation step of the reaction mechanism diagram and has asked for feedback on their attempted solution. The online homework system rejected their answer and they are now seeking assistance from their professor.
AsuraSky

Homework Statement

The polymerization of propene to polypropylene progresses through a radical mechanism.

Complete the propagation step of the reaction mechanism diagram by drawing in the missing lone pairs, radical electrons, atomic charges, and electron-flow arrows where appropriate.

2. The attempt at a solution

Can someone please check my answer below to see if its right?

My Answer:

propenetopolypropylene.png

This is the original template that was provided.

propenetemplate.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it right. If it is not accepted then there may be an issue with the definition of 'propagation'. Post back once you have submitted the answer.

Hmm, the online homework thing rejected my answer. Since I used up all my tries I can't submit any more answers. I hope I'm not missing anything in my answer.

Sorry to hear about it. Didn't it give you the answer? Usually the program gives you the answer after your have exhausted your chances.
Do you want to share what else you tried?
Also, you may want to send this answer to your professor and ask him for a correct response.

For some reason, the program does not give me the correct answer probably because the course administrator has turned that function off. I'll send my answer to my professor and see what he says.

1. What is the process of polymerization in organic chemistry?

Polymerization is a chemical reaction in which small molecules, called monomers, are linked together to form long chains, called polymers. This process involves the breaking of double bonds in the monomers and the formation of new single bonds between them, resulting in a larger molecule.

2. What is propene and how does it polymerize to form polypropylene?

Propene, also known as propylene, is a hydrocarbon compound with the chemical formula C3H6. It is a monomer that can undergo polymerization to form polypropylene, which is a thermoplastic polymer with the chemical formula (C3H6)n. The process of polymerization involves the addition of multiple propene monomers to form a long chain of polypropylene molecules.

3. What are the different types of polymerization reactions in organic chemistry?

There are two main types of polymerization reactions: addition polymerization and condensation polymerization. Addition polymerization involves the addition of monomers to form a larger molecule, while condensation polymerization involves the formation of a polymer by the elimination of small molecules, such as water or alcohol, from the monomers.

4. What are the properties of polypropylene and why is it commonly used in everyday products?

Polypropylene is a versatile polymer with a wide range of properties, including high strength, durability, chemical resistance, and low density. It is commonly used in everyday products, such as packaging materials, textiles, and automotive parts, due to its affordability, lightweight nature, and ability to be easily molded into various shapes.

5. How is the polymerization of propene to polypropylene controlled in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, the polymerization of propene to polypropylene can be controlled by using a catalyst, such as Ziegler-Natta catalysts, to initiate the reaction. The temperature, pressure, and concentration of monomers can also be manipulated to control the rate and extent of polymerization. Additionally, the use of different additives can alter the properties of the resulting polypropylene polymer.