Polymerization of acrylamide with K Persulfate without Bis

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving the creation of a polymer through free-radical polymerization using acrylamide and potassium persulfate. The group did not use a bis acrylamide crosslinker, which was not included in their lab manual. The person is unable to find resources on how acrylamide polymerizes with itself and has a question about which double bond (c=c or c=o) would be attacked in this type of reaction. They also mention that their resulting polymer was a clear, semi-flexible thin plastic film. The conversation also includes a discussion on the reactivity of nucleophilic ions with double bonds and the role of oxygen in taking on positive charges during the polymerization process.
SchrodingersMu
Hi!
I recently did a lab where my group was to create a polymer via free-radical polymerization. We used acrylamide and potassium persulfate. We DID NOT use bis acrylamide crosslinker ( wasnt in our lab manual for some reason.)

I cannot find any web resources that show how acrylamide polymerizes with itself. I know, in this kind of free radical propagation, an initiator ( K persulfate) will change to have a radical under heating, etc. That radical then attacks a double bond. My question is- How would the double bonds in only acrylamide be attacked? We see that there are two options: c=c or c=o. In a typical reaction, the c=c bond is attacked. If the c=o bond is attacked, to me, it looks like it would be more stable, however. From my understanding, oxygen holds charges better than C, and also there would be some resonance from the lone pair on the amine group. If the c=o bond is attacked, though, would there be polymerization propagation?

Our polymer (after being heated) was a clear, semi-flexible thin plastic film

Below is a picture of the typical reaction with crosslinker ( in green, which we didnt have) initiator ( in orange, in the picture it is ammonium instead of potassium persulfate)

1_3_1a.gif

Any input is appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
SchrodingersMu said:
free radical propagation
SchrodingersMu said:
radical then attacks a double bond
Giving you what?

From my understanding, that will propagate the radical into the monomer, which then reacts with another double bond in another monomer. This leads to linking/ polymer chain lengthening

SchrodingersMu said:
how acrylamide polymerizes with itself
Which answers your question? Or not?

Sort of. I want to know which double bond(s) the polymerization will occur on, because we have both c=c and c=o

From Wiki: "
Likewise, radicals next to functional groups such as carbonyl, nitrile, and ether are more stable than tertiary alkyl radicals.

Radicals attack double bonds. However, unlike similar ions, such radical reactions are not as much directed by electrostatic interactions. For example, the reactivity of nucleophilic ions with α,β-unsaturated compounds (C=C–C=O) is directed by the electron-withdrawing effect of the oxygen, resulting in a partial positive charge on the carbonyl carbon. There are two reactions that are observed in the ionic case: the carbonyl is attacked in a direct addition to carbonyl, or the vinyl is attacked in conjugate addition, and in either case, the charge on the nucleophile is taken by the oxygen. Radicals add rapidly to the double bond, and the resulting α-radical carbonyl is relatively stable;" suggesting the amide function "protects" the carbonyl.

AH, nice! I don't get why
"the charge on the nucleophile is taken by the oxygen"
So the oxygen takes on the positive charge? I'm confused by that statement

Thanks for help btw!

SchrodingersMu said:
So the oxygen takes on the positive charge?
"... in the ionic case." Is this an ionic case? Persulfate splits to give you a radical anion which initiates the polymerization.

I think this is an ionic case.
Why would oxygen want to take a psoitive charge? Oxygen is super electronegative

Thanks again

From where is it going to pick up a charge? You have a radical anion, SO4-1⋅ initiating the reaction. The charge is just along for the ride.

1. What is the purpose of polymerization of acrylamide with K Persulfate without Bis?

The purpose of this process is to create a polymer, or large molecule, made up of repeating units of acrylamide. This polymer has a variety of uses, including in the production of various plastics, gels, and coatings.

2. How does K Persulfate facilitate the polymerization of acrylamide without Bis?

K Persulfate is a chemical compound that acts as an initiator in the polymerization process. When it is combined with acrylamide, it breaks down into free radicals that react with the acrylamide molecules, causing them to link together and form the polymer chain.

3. Why is Bis not necessary in this polymerization reaction?

Bis, or N,N’-methylenebisacrylamide, is commonly used as a crosslinking agent in polymerization reactions. However, in this specific process, the use of Bis is not necessary because the K Persulfate acts as an initiator and helps form the polymer chain without the need for additional crosslinking agents.

4. What are the benefits of using this method of polymerization over other methods?

This method of polymerization has several advantages, including being a relatively simple and cost-effective process. It also allows for control over the molecular weight and structure of the resulting polymer, making it suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when conducting this polymerization reaction?

As with any chemical reaction, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when conducting this polymerization process. This may include wearing protective equipment, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of any waste products. It is also important to carefully handle and store the chemicals involved in this reaction to prevent accidents or injuries.