Organic Chemistry Predict Major Product

In summary, the conversation discusses predicting the major product and reaction mechanism for two problems involving bromine and hydroxyl groups. The top problem involves a charged nucleophile and polar protic solvent, suggesting an E2 mechanism and the creation of a double bond between the cyclopentane and methyl group. The bottom problem involves HBr and H2SO4 as reagents, indicating Sn1 and E1 mechanisms, respectively, and the formation of double bonds in the resulting products. The major products predicted are a cyclopentane with a double bond between the carbon and methyl group for the top problem, and a cyclopentane with a double bond between the oxygen and methyl group for the bottom problem.
NY152

Homework Statement

Predict major product and what type of reaction mechanism

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Top Problem: So the Bromine is a good leaving group, and is in the secondary position so you cannot rule out anything right away. The nucleophile is charged, so it will be either Sn2 or E2. I think it's E2 because the solvent is polar protic (O-).
So knowing the reaction mechanism is most likely E2 (I may be mistaken), I think the hydrogen (not shown) across from the bromine would be would be removed, and the electrons would then go in maybe? and create a double bond between the cyclopentane and the methyl substituent left...I'm just not sure how the two different solvents would affect this given one is in the primary position (maybe less stable so easier to leave?) and the other.Bottom Problem:

The hydroxyl group is in the secondary position, and going through similar logic like the top problem, I believe the reaction with HBr to be Sn1 (I think the HBr is neutral?), and the H2SO4 to be E1 due to the heat making it a dehydration mechanism. Similar to the top problem, my main difficulty is predicting the major product. I'm pretty sure for the E1 heat, a double bond will be created but I'm not sure how in a way that it will be stable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 9.57.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 9.57.22 PM.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 625
Physics news on Phys.org
My guesses are that the major product will be a cyclopentane with a double bond between the carbon and the methyl group for the top problem, and a cyclopentane with a double bond between the oxygen and the methyl group for the bottom problem.

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the branch of chemistry that studies the structure, properties, and reactions of compounds containing carbon atoms.

2. What is the major product in organic chemistry?

The major product in organic chemistry refers to the most abundant or most highly favored product formed in a chemical reaction.

3. How do you predict the major product in organic chemistry?

To predict the major product in organic chemistry, you need to consider the reactants, reaction conditions, and any relevant reaction mechanisms. You can also use principles such as Markovnikov's rule and Zaitsev's rule to guide your prediction.

4. What factors influence the formation of the major product in organic chemistry?

The formation of the major product in organic chemistry is influenced by factors such as the stability of the reactants and products, the strength of the bonds involved, and the presence of any catalysts or functional groups.

5. How accurate are predictions of the major product in organic chemistry?

The accuracy of predictions of the major product in organic chemistry can vary depending on the complexity of the reaction and the knowledge and experience of the chemist making the prediction. However, with a thorough understanding of the underlying principles and careful consideration of all factors, predictions can be highly accurate.