Why Do Radicals React Differently with Br?

• Thread starter Nick tringali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary, when predicting the major product of a reaction in organic chemistry, the Br molecule will typically attach to the most stable tertiary radical. This is because Br will react with the carbocation or radical that is present in the largest amount, and the more stable one will dominate. This can be confusing when considering that Br will also take the place of the most reactive tertiary hydrogen, but ultimately it is the stability of the radical that determines the product.
Nick tringali
Alright so in organic chemistry we learn that for radicals and carbocations, the tertiary radical is the most stable (of primary and secondary). Okay, so why when we are predicting the major product of the reaction, let's take Br for example, the Br is going to attach to the tertiary radical. If tertiary is the "more stable" one, shouldn't Br seek out the less stable radical like a primary radical. fluorine is very unstable and fluorine will react with everything. A Nobel gas is very stable and will react with nothing. When looking at another slide on my powerpoint, it says that secondary hydrogens are way more reactive than primary hydrogens, this makes sense because when I am trying to find the major products of a reaction, I will place my Br where the secondary hydrogen was. The semantics of this makes no sense to me. Why is a Br going to attach on a "more stable" tertiary radical than a less stable primary radical. I hope I articulated this question well enough. Please try to explain this in layman's terms.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In otherwords why is Br going to react with the most stable radical. But, Br is going to also take the place of the most reactive tertiary hydrogen. How does that make any sense.

Br will most often react with the carbocation/radical that is present in the largest amount - and the most stable one dominates the mixture.

1. Why do radicals react differently with Br?

Radicals are highly reactive species that have an unpaired electron in their outermost orbital. This unpaired electron makes them highly reactive and prone to undergo chemical reactions. Bromine (Br) is a halogen that is commonly used in radical reactions because of its ability to easily accept an electron. This makes it an ideal partner for radicals, resulting in unique and varied reaction outcomes.

2. How does the presence of Br affect radical reactions?

The presence of Br in a reaction can greatly influence the outcome of a radical reaction. This is because Br has a high electronegativity, meaning it has a strong pull for electrons. When a radical reacts with Br, the unpaired electron in the radical is attracted to the electron-deficient Br atom, resulting in the formation of a new bond. This can lead to the formation of new products or the stabilization of the radical, preventing further reactions.

3. What factors can affect the reactivity of radicals with Br?

The reactivity of radicals with Br can be affected by several factors, including the structure and stability of the radical, the concentration of Br present, and the reaction conditions (temperature, solvent, etc.). The type of radical also plays a role, as some radicals are more reactive than others and may have a stronger affinity for Br.

4. Can radicals react with Br in a regioselective manner?

Yes, radicals can react with Br in a regioselective manner, meaning they preferentially add to a specific position on a molecule. This is due to the difference in electronegativity between Br and other atoms in the molecule, causing the radical to selectively attack the most electron-deficient position. This can result in the formation of different products depending on the position of the radical attack.

5. Are there any limitations to using Br in radical reactions?

While Br is a commonly used halogen in radical reactions, it does have some limitations. For example, Br is not compatible with certain functional groups, such as alkenes and alkynes, as it can lead to unwanted side reactions. Additionally, Br can also react with other radicals, resulting in a chain reaction that may be difficult to control. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the use of Br in radical reactions and choose appropriate reaction conditions to minimize these limitations.