Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the orthogonal projection onto a subspace for a linear algebra exam. The solution involves finding the component of the vector w in the directions of the unit vectors u and v, and subtracting it from w. The person has found a solution from their lecturer but is confused about the results. The expert suggests sticking with the lecturer's definition and confirms that the calculation is correct.
Danny89
Hey,

I have a linear algebra exam tomorrow and am finding it hard to figure out how to calculate an orthogonal projection onto a subspace.

Here is the actual question type i am stuck on:
q2b.jpg

I have spent ages searching the depths of google and other such places for a solution but with no look. I am really stuck and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could maybe give me a helping hand and try explain this to me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that your u and v are already orthogonal unit vectors. So the component of w in the u direction would be w dot u and in the v direction would be w dot v. So the nearest point in the plane to w would be (w dot u)u + (w dot v)v. Subtract this from w to get the orthogonal projection.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit confused though. You see i actually managed to get the solution for this problem from my lecturer just there:

ans.jpg

But he doesn't subtract from w that i know of and his result for <w,u>u is
1/2 [5]
[0]
[-5]

should it not be:
1/2 [2]
[0]
[-3]?

do you know why this is? i have been tricking around with it and just can't seem to understand it. It would appear to be straightforward enough but i just can't see it.

What he has calculated is the "shadow" of w on the subspace which is what he apparently meant by the orthogonal projection onto the subspace. What I suggested to you was the component of w orthogonal to the subspace. Stick with his definition. His calculation is correct; just don't subtract it from w.

Thanks a million, a real help!

Danny89 said:
his result for <w,u>u is
1/2 [5]
[0]
[-5]

should it not be:
1/2 [2]
[0]
[-3]?

do you know why this is?
The quantity <w,u> is a plain old number. In this case, <w,u>=-5. He then multiplies the vector [1,0,-1] by it. To get the scalar multiple of a vector, you just multiply each component by the scalar, so you get [5,0,-5].

Related to Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace?

1. What is Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace?

Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace is a mathematical operation that projects a vector onto a subspace, resulting in a new vector that is perpendicular to the subspace.

2. How is Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace calculated?

Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace can be calculated using the formula P = (ATA)-1AT, where A is the matrix representing the subspace and P is the projection matrix.

3. What is the significance of Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace?

Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace is used in a variety of fields, such as linear algebra, statistics, and machine learning. It is used to find the closest approximation of a vector to a subspace and is also an essential tool in regression analysis.

4. Can Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace can be applied to any number of dimensions. The formula and concept remain the same, but the calculations become more complex as the dimensionality increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace?

Orthogonal Projection Onto a Subspace is used in image and signal processing, where it is used to compress and denoise data. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D projections of objects onto a 2D screen. In addition, it is used in data analysis and machine learning for dimensionality reduction and feature extraction.