Orthogonality of stirling numbers

I believe generating functions are the way to go, as I have suggested you in my previous post. (Wink)In summary, the conversation discusses the Stirling numbers of the first-kind and second-kind, and a proof of the identity $\sum_{j=k}^{n}S(n,j)s(j,k)=\sum_{j=k}^{n}s(n,j)S(j,k)=\delta _{{n,k}}$. The conversation also references resources for further reading on the topic. It is noted that the result is not true in its original form, but can be modified to be true using signed versions of the Stirling numbers. Generating functions are suggested as a method for proving the identity.
bkarpuz
Dear MHB members,

denote by $s_{n,k}$ and $S_{n,k}$ Stirling numbers of the first-kind and of the second-kind, respectively.
I need to see the proof of the identity $\sum_{j=k}^{n}S(n,j)s(j,k)=\sum_{j=k}^{n}s(n,j)S(j,k)=\delta _{{n,k}}$.
Please let me know if you know a reference in this direction.

Many thanks.
bkarpuz

Physics news on Phys.org
As stated, the result is not true, it should be: \[\sum_{j=k}^n (-1)^{n-j} S(n,j) s(j,k) = \sum_{j=k}^n (-1)^{n-j} s(n,j) S(j,k) =\delta_{n,k}\]

First we note that \[\displaystyle\sum_{n\geq 0} S(n,k) \displaystyle\frac{x^n}{n!} = \frac{1}{k!}\cdot\left(\frac{x^1}{1!} + \frac{x^2}{2!}+...\right)^k = \frac{1}{k!}\cdot\left(e^x - 1\right)^k (*)\]

Thus we write \[ A(x) := \displaystyle\sum_{n} \left( \displaystyle\frac{x^n}{n!} \cdot \sum_{j} (-1)^{n-j} S(n,j) s(j,k) \right) = \sum_j \left( \sum_n S(n,j) \cdot \displaystyle\frac{(-x)^n}{n!} \right) \cdot s(j,k) \cdot (-1)^j = \sum_j \frac{\left(1 - e^{-x}\right)^j}{j!} \cdot s(j,k)\]

And on the other hand \[ \sum_{j,k} s(j,k)\cdot \frac{x^j}{j!}\cdot y^k = \exp\left(y\cdot \log\left(\frac{1}{1-x}\right)\right) (**)\]

Thus \[ \sum_j s(j,k) \cdot \frac{x^j}{j!} = \frac{1}{k!}\cdot \log^k\left(\frac{1}{1-x}\right)\]

And \[A(x) = \sum_j \frac{\left(1 - e^{-x}\right)^j}{j!} \cdot s(j,k) = \frac{1}{k!}\cdot \log^k\left(\frac{1}{1-(1 - e^{-x})}\right) = \frac{x^k}{k!} \]

Which indeed implies $\sum_{j=k}^n (-1)^{n-j} S(n,j) s(j,k) =\delta_{n,k}$. $\square$ ( I will leave the other identity to you (Wink) )

For (*), note that the coefficient of $x^n$ in $\frac{1}{k!}\cdot\left(\frac{x^1}{1!} + \frac{x^2}{2!}+...\right)^k $ is actually $ \frac{1}{k!}\cdot \sum_{d_1+...+d_k = n ; d_i > 0} \frac{1}{d_1!\cdot d_2!\cdot ... d_k!} $ , and so if we multiply it by $n!$ we get $ \frac{1}{k!}\cdot \sum_{d_1+...+d_k = n ; d_i > 0} \frac{n!}{d_1!\cdot d_2!\cdot ... d_k!} $ which should ring a bell.

Indeed $\frac{n!}{d_1!\cdot d_2!\cdot ... d_k!}$ is the number of permutations with repetitions, in which you have $n$ elements, $d_1$ of type $1$, etc... so we are actually putting $n$ elements into $k$ (non-empty) boxes. But since what we want are partitions, we don't really care about the renaming of those "boxes", thus the $\frac{1}{k!}$ and $(*)$ is proved.

Now for $(**)$ note that $ \exp\left(y\cdot \log\left(\frac{1}{1-x}\right)\right) = \exp\left(y\cdot \sum_{n\geq 1}{\frac{(n-1)!}{n!}\cdot x^n}\right) = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{k!}\cdot \left(y\cdot \sum_{n\geq 1}{\frac{(n-1)!}{n!}\cdot x^n}\right)^k}$. And here by a similar idea, the coefficient of $x^a y^k$ in $\frac{1}{k!}\cdot \left(y\cdot \sum_{n\geq 1}{\frac{(n-1)!}{n!}\cdot x^n}\right)^k$ corresponds to the number of permutations of $a$ elements into $k$ cycles (remember $(n-1)!$ is the number of cyclic permutations of $n$ elements) , but divided by $a!$.

Some references :
  • Analytic Combinatorics by Flajolet and Sedgewick. Page 736 of the book ( page 752 of the pdf available online). States $(*)$ and $(**)$
  • Generatingfunctionology by Herbert Wilf. Page 174 exercise 12 is related (in fact you the reader is expected to discover your identities), and $(**)$ appears in page 87 as a result of the theory developed in that chapter.

Both references are freely available online! :D

Last edited:
PaulRS said:
As stated, the result is not true, it should be: \[\sum_{j=k}^n (-1)^{n-j} S(n,j) s(j,k) = \sum_{j=k}^n (-1)^{n-j} s(n,j) S(j,k) =\delta_{n,k}\]

Thank you very much PaulRS for your reply.
But if you seach in google DLMF: §26.8 Set Partitions: Stirling Numbers and see Equation 26.8 therein,
you will find the formula I have mentioned above. Also I have multiplied the table of Stirling numbers with n=k=4, and I got the identity matrix.
I believe there is a straight computation of that formula.

Best regards.
bkarpuz

bkarpuz said:
Thank you very much PaulRS for your reply.
But if you seach in google DLMF: §26.8 Set Partitions: Stirling Numbers and see Equation 26.8 therein,
you will find the formula I have mentioned above. Also I have multiplied the table of Stirling numbers with n=k=4, and I got the identity matrix.
I believe there is a straight computation of that formula.

Best regards.
bkarpuz

Ah, I see, you are using a signed version of Stirling numbers! so actually $s_{mine}(n,k) = (-1)^{n-k} \cdot s_{yours} (n,k)$ and we agree. (Rofl)

I was using $s(n,k) = \left [ \begin{matrix}
n \\ k

\end{matrix} \right ] $ the number of permutations of $n$ elements with exactly $k$ cycles.

Minor modifications to the proof above get you to your identity.

Last edited:

Dear bkarpuz,

Thank you for your question. The orthogonality of Stirling numbers is a well-known result in combinatorics and has been proven in various sources. One reference that provides a proof for this identity is the book "Concrete Mathematics" by Graham, Knuth, and Patashnik. Another reference is the paper "Orthogonality of Stirling numbers and the Cauchy identity" by Gessel and Zhu.

To give a brief explanation, the identity you mentioned can be proved using the properties of Stirling numbers and the Cauchy identity. The first term in the identity, $\sum_{j=k}^{n}S(n,j)s(j,k)$, represents the number of ways to partition a set of $n$ elements into $k$ non-empty subsets and then further partition each of those subsets into $j$ non-empty subsets. The second term, $\sum_{j=k}^{n}s(n,j)S(j,k)$, represents the number of ways to first partition a set of $n$ elements into $j$ non-empty subsets and then further partition each of those subsets into $k$ non-empty subsets. The sum over all values of $j$ ensures that all possible combinations are accounted for.

By the Cauchy identity, these two expressions are equal to the Kronecker delta function, which is 1 when $n=k$ and 0 otherwise. This means that the only case where the two expressions are equal is when $n=k$, which proves the orthogonality of Stirling numbers.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research.

Sincerely,

1. What is the significance of the orthogonality of Stirling numbers?

The orthogonality of Stirling numbers refers to a mathematical property that describes the relationship between the two types of Stirling numbers - the first kind and the second kind. This property allows us to decompose a polynomial into a sum of terms using Stirling numbers, making it a useful tool in various mathematical applications.

2. How are Stirling numbers related to combinatorics?

Stirling numbers are closely related to combinatorics, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects. The first kind of Stirling numbers, also known as Stirling cycle numbers, count the number of ways to partition a set of objects into cycles, while the second kind, also known as Stirling subset numbers, count the number of ways to partition a set of objects into non-empty subsets.

3. What is the difference between the first and second kind of Stirling numbers?

The first kind of Stirling numbers, denoted by S(n,k), counts the number of ways to partition a set of n objects into k non-empty cycles. The second kind of Stirling numbers, denoted by S(n,k), counts the number of ways to partition a set of n objects into k non-empty subsets. In other words, the first kind counts the number of ways to arrange objects in cycles, while the second kind counts the number of ways to group objects into non-empty subsets.

4. How are Stirling numbers related to other mathematical concepts?

Stirling numbers are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as binomial coefficients, Bell numbers, and Catalan numbers. In fact, Stirling numbers can be expressed in terms of these other concepts, making them a useful tool for solving various mathematical problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stirling numbers?

Stirling numbers have various real-world applications, such as in probability theory, statistics, and mathematical physics. They are also used in computer science and engineering for tasks such as pattern recognition, signal processing, and data compression. Additionally, Stirling numbers have applications in the study of permutations and combinations, which are essential in fields such as genetics, chemistry, and economics.