Orthogonality on Inner Product (Quantum Mechanics also)

In summary: And thank you for pointing out my error with the notation, I'll make sure to correct that in the future. In summary, the probability of obtaining the result "+1" in the measurement of δn is equal to 0 if and only if the state |v> and the basis state |n,+> are orthogonal, as shown through a and b proofs using the inner product axioms.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a qubit in the state |v> ∈ ℂ^2. Suppose that a measurement of δn is made on the qubit. Show that the probability of obtaining the result "+1" in the measurement is equal to 0 if and only if |v> and |n,+> are orthogonal.

Homework Equations

Inner product axioms
|v>|w> are orthogonal if |v>|w> = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

First things first, that this is a if and only if proof.
a. Prob(+1) = 0 implies that |v> and |n,+> are orthogonal
b. |v> and |n,+> are orthogonal implies Prob(+1) = 0

Proof of b: Prob(+1) = | |n,+> |v> |^2 , but since |n,+> and |v> are orthogonal as assumed, by definition of orthogonality, this is equal to 0. And so Prob(+1) = 0.

Proof of a: Similarly, Prob(+1) = | |n,+> |v> |^2 and since this equals 0, we see that |n,+>|v> = 0. But this is precisely the definition of orthogonality.

My concern: My concern is mainly with the proof of a, it seems very weak. Would you consider this a proper proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
One little bump before the week starts. :)

To make the proof less "handwavy", I would start from the fact that ##\left|\pm n \right\rangle## form a complete basis, i.e., one can always write
$$
\left|\psi \right\rangle = a \left| +n \right\rangle + b \left|-n \right\rangle
$$
and deduce things about the values of ##a## and ##b##.

Also, please note that the inner product is noted <v|w>, not |v>|w>. |v> is a column vector, and <v| a row vector.

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for the help here. That's a good idea and may make it a stronger proof.

1. What is orthogonality in the context of inner product in quantum mechanics?

Orthogonality in quantum mechanics refers to the mathematical relationship between two vectors in a vector space. In this context, it means that the inner product (or dot product) of two vectors is equal to zero, indicating that the two vectors are perpendicular to each other.

2. How is orthogonality used in quantum mechanics?

Orthogonality is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in many applications. It is used to determine the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, to calculate transition probabilities between energy levels, and to define quantum operators and their properties.

3. Can two non-zero vectors be orthogonal in quantum mechanics?

No, two non-zero vectors cannot be orthogonal in quantum mechanics. This is because the inner product of two non-zero vectors will always have a non-zero value, indicating that they are not perpendicular to each other.

4. What is the significance of orthogonality in quantum mechanics?

Orthogonality is essential in quantum mechanics as it allows for the description of quantum states and the calculation of probabilities. It also plays a crucial role in the measurement process, as the measurement of one observable can affect the orthogonality of another observable.

5. How does orthogonality relate to the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics?

Orthogonality is closely related to the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics. Superposition refers to the ability of quantum particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Orthogonality dictates that these states must be orthogonal to each other, meaning that they cannot be described by the same set of quantum numbers.