Orthonormal Basis in General Relativity - Carroll

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of basic vectors in Carroll's paper on general relativity. The basic vectors are defined as orthonormal on page 88, but there is a question about whether they are obviously orthonormal for later basis vectors. It is mentioned that the coordinate system being non-orthogonal may affect this. Further, the conversation delves into examples of the use of orthonormal basis in different situations, including the geometry of Schwarshild, the bending of a ray due to sun gravity, and the Merkur orbit. It is noted that in some cases, the basis vectors may be orthogonal but not orthonormal, and this is especially true when there is a term involving the product of differentials
exponent137
Now, I am reading Carroll's http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019. On a page 88 he defines basic vectors, which are orthonormal (3.114) and basic vectors given by gradients of coordinate functions.
Are these later basis vectors not obviously orthonormal?

Physics news on Phys.org
exponent137 said:
Now, I am reading Carroll's http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019. On a page 88 he defines basic vectors, which are orthonormal (3.114) and basic vectors given by gradients of coordinate functions.
Are these later basis vectors not obviously orthonormal?
Not if the coordinate system is non-orthogonal.

Chet

Likes exponent137
I do not imagine enough.
(1) Geometry of Schwarshild. (2) Or desription of bending of a ray because of sun gravity. (3) Or Merkur orbit. (4) And still some typical examples.
Are these examples typicaly use orthonormal basis, or not?

exponent137 said:
I do not imagine enough.
(1) Geometry of Schwarshild. (2) Or desription of bending of a ray because of sun gravity. (3) Or Merkur orbit. (4) And still some typical examples.
Are these examples typicaly use orthonormal basis, or not?
(1) and (2) are orthogonal, but not orthonormal. I'm not familiar with (3). Any time you have a line element with a term involving the product of differentials of two different coordinates, the coordinate system is not orthogonal. Even with simple coordinate systems like cylindrical and spherical, the basis vectors are orthogonal, but not orthonormal (i.e., they are not unit vectors).

Chet

Likes exponent137

Related to Orthonormal Basis in General Relativity - Carroll

1. What is an orthonormal basis in general relativity?

An orthonormal basis in general relativity is a set of four linearly independent vectors that are perpendicular to each other and have unit length. These vectors are used to describe the geometry of spacetime in general relativity.

2. How is an orthonormal basis used in general relativity?

In general relativity, an orthonormal basis is used to define the local reference frame at a given point in spacetime. This allows for the measurement of physical quantities, such as the curvature of spacetime, at that point.

3. What is the significance of an orthonormal basis in general relativity?

An orthonormal basis is significant in general relativity because it provides a way to describe the geometry of spacetime in a way that is independent of any particular coordinate system. This allows for a more precise and consistent understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

4. How is an orthonormal basis related to the metric tensor in general relativity?

The metric tensor is used to define the inner product between vectors in general relativity. In an orthonormal basis, the metric tensor simplifies to the identity matrix, making mathematical calculations and interpretations of physical quantities more straightforward.

5. Can an orthonormal basis be used in any coordinate system in general relativity?

Yes, an orthonormal basis can be used in any coordinate system in general relativity. This is because the basis vectors are defined in terms of the metric tensor, which is a geometric property of spacetime and is independent of any particular coordinate system.