Outer measure .... Axler, Result 2.14 .... Another Question ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the proof of Result 2.14 in Sheldon Axler's book Measure, Integration & Real Analysis relies on the definition of the length of an open interval and the properties of the function ##A \mapsto |A|## that is restricted to "good" subsets.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need further help in order to fully understand the proof that | [a, b] | = b - a ... ...
I am reading Sheldon Axler's book: Measure, Integration & Real Analysis ... and I am focused on Chapter 2: Measures ...

I need further help with the proof of Result 2.14 ...

Result 2.14 and its proof read as follows
Axler - Result  2.14- outer measure of a closed interval .png

In the above proof by Axler we read the following:

" ... ... To get started with the induction, note that 2.15 clearly implies 2.16 if ##n = 1## ... "Can someone please demonstrate rigorously that 2.15 clearly implies 2.16 if ##n = 1## ...

... in other words, demonstrate rigorously that ##[a, b] \subset I_1 \Longrightarrow l(I_1) \geq b - a## ...My thoughts ... we should be able to use ##(a, b) \subset [a, b]## and the fact that if ##A \subset B## then ##\mid A \mid \leq \mid B \mid## ... ... but we may have to prove rigorously that ##\mid (a, b) \mid = b - a ## but how do we express this proof ...Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter=============================================================================================================

Readers of the above post may be assisted by access to Axler's definition of the length of an open interval and his definition of outer measure ... so I am providing access to the relevant text ... as follows:
Axler - Defn 2.1 & 2.2 .png
Hope that helps ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You start with ##[a,b]\subseteq I_1##. Write ##I_1=]c,d[##. Then ##l(I_1)= d-c\geq b-a##. Not sure if that solves your problem?

Likes Math Amateur
Math_QED said:
You start with ##[a,b]\subseteq I_1##. Write ##I_1=]c,d[##. Then ##l(I_1)= d-c\geq b-a##. Not sure if that solves your problem?
I believe that does solve the problem ...

Just a supplementary question ... Axler only defines the length of an open interval ... he has now proven that ##\mid [a, b] \mid = b - a## ...

... however, nothing has been said about the length of ## [a, b] ## ... do we know what ##l( [a, b] )## is ... ?

How would we show rigorously that ##l( [a, b] ) = b - a ...?

I note in passing that other books approach this issue by defining ##l( [a, b] ) = l( (a, b) ) = b - a## ...
... and another supplementary question ...
How would we show rigorously that ## \mid (a, b) \mid = b - a## ...

I know it seems intuitively obvious but how would you express a convincing and rigorous proof of the above result ...Peter

Last edited:
Math Amateur said:

Just a supplementary question ... Axler only defines the length of an open interval ... he has now proven that ##\mid [a, b] \mid = b - a## ...

... however, nothing has been said about the length of ## [a, b] ## ... do we know what ##l( [a, b] )## is ... ?

I note in passing that other books approach this issue by defining ##l( [a, b] ) = l( (a, b) ) = b - a## ...
... and another supplementary question ...
How would we show rigorously that ## \mid (a, b) \mid = b - a## ...

I know it seems intuitively obvious but how would you express a convincing and rigorous proof of the above result ...Peter

Axler defined the length ##l## only for open intervals, so it does not make sense to ask what ##l([a,b])## is without giving an appropriate definition.

You proved that ##|[a,b]| = b-a##. Similarly, you can prove that ##|(a,b)| = b-a##. So when you will continue reading, you will note that the function ##A \mapsto |A|## restricted to "good" subsets has properties you want a length to have. So actually what you are doing is constructing a measure on some collection of subsets of the reals such that it extends the length of the open interval ##(a,b)## in an intuitive and good way. Hope this helps.

Likes Math Amateur
Math_QED said:
Axler defined the length ##l## only for open intervals, so it does not make sense to ask what ##l([a,b])## is without giving an appropriate definition.

You proved that ##|[a,b]| = b-a##. Similarly, you can prove that ##|(a,b)| = b-a##. So when you will continue reading, you will note that the function ##A \mapsto |A|## restricted to "good" subsets has properties you want a length to have. So actually what you are doing is constructing a measure on some collection of subsets of the reals such that it extends the length of the open interval ##(a,b)## in an intuitive and good way. Hope this helps.

Thanks ... yes definitely helps a lot ...

Still reflecting on what you have written...

Thanks again...

Peter

I'm confused on why Axler doesn't just use 2.5 ($A\subset B \implies |A| \leq |B|$) to establish $|[b-a]| \geq |(b,a)|=b-a$ ?

What am I missing?

Last edited:
JeremyS said:
What am I missing?
One $ in your LaTeX.

JeremyS said:
I'm confused on why Axler doesn't just use 2.5 ($A\subset B \implies |A| \leq |B|$) to establish $|[b-a]| \geq |(b,a)|=b-a$ ?

What am I missing?
Vanadium 50 said:
One $ in your LaTeX.
Or double-# for inline... :wink:
JeremyS said:
I'm confused on why Axler doesn't just use 2.5 (##A\subset B \implies |A| \leq |B|##) to establish ##|[b-a]| \geq |(b,a)|=b-a## ?

Math Amateur said:

Note [itex][a,b] = \{a\} \cup (a,b) \cup \{b\}[/itex]. Assuming that the measure of each singleton is equal, if this measure is strictly positive then [itex]l(\mathbb{Q} \cap (0,1))[/itex] is infinite by countable additivity; this contradicts [itex]l((0,1)) = 1[/itex].

What is Outer measure?

Outer measure is a concept in measure theory that assigns a non-negative real number to each set in a sigma algebra, representing a generalized notion of the "size" of the set.

What is Axler, Result 2.14?

Axler, Result 2.14 is a specific result in mathematics that is likely related to linear algebra, as Axler is a well-known author in that field. The exact content of Result 2.14 would need to be referenced from Axler's book or work.

Can you provide more information on Another Question?

Without specific context, it is difficult to provide information on "Another Question." Please provide more details or clarify the question for a more accurate response.