Outer measure of a closed interval .... Axler, Result 2.14 ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof in Sheldon Axler's book about the relationship between the length of an interval and its outer measure. The author uses the fact that if a set has all its elements greater than or equal to a fixed number, then the infinum of that set is also greater than or equal to that number. This fact is used to show that the length of an interval is less than or equal to the sum of the lengths of its subintervals. This, in turn, implies that the length of an interval is greater than or equal to its outer measure. Additional access to relevant text is provided for further understanding.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need help in order to fully understand the proof that | [a, b] | = b - a ... ...
I am reading Sheldon Axler's book: Measure, Integration & Real Analysis ... and I am focused on Chapter 2: Measures ...

I need help with the proof of Result 2.14 ...

Result 2.14 and its proof read as follows:
Axler - Result  2.14- outer measure of a closed interval .png

In the above proof by Axler we read the following:

" ... ... We will now prove by induction on n that the inclusion above implies that ## \sum_{ k = 1 }^n l(I_k) \ \geq b - a##This will then imply that ##\sum_{ k = 1 }^{ \infty } l(I_k) \geq \sum_{ k = 1 }^n l(I_k) \ \geq b - a##, completing the proof that ##\mid [a, b] \mid \ \geq b - a##. ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why ##\sum_{ k = 1 }^{ \infty } l(I_k) \ \geq \sum_{ k = 1 }^n l(I_k) \ \geq b - a## completes the proof that ##\mid [a, b] \mid \ \geq b - a##. ... ...

Indeed ... can someone please show, formally and rigorously, that ##\sum_{ k = 1 }^{ \infty } l(I_k) \ \geq \sum_{ k = 1 }^n l(I_k) \ \geq b - a## implies that ##\mid [a, b] \mid \geq b - a##. ... ...
Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter=============================================================================================================

Readers of the above post may be assisted by access to Axler's definition of the length of an open interval and his definition of outer measure ... so I am providing access to the relevant text ... as follows:
Axler - Defn 2.1 & 2.2 .png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
The author uses the following fact: Let ##A## be a non-empty set and ##b## be a fixed number. If ##a \geq b## for all ##a \in A##, then ##\inf(A) \geq b## (immediate from the definition of infinum: ##b## is a lower bound of ##A##).

In your case, the author shows ##b-a \leq |[a,b]|## by showing that ##b-a \leq \sum_k l(I_k)## for all choices of ##I_k## as in the definition of outer measure.

Math_QED said:
The author uses the following fact: Let ##A## be a non-empty set and ##b## be a fixed number. If ##a \geq b## for all ##a \in A##, then ##\inf(A) \geq b## (immediate from the definition of infinum: ##b## is a lower bound of ##A##).

In your case, the author shows ##b-a \leq |[a,b]|## by showing that ##b-a \leq \sum_k l(I_k)## for all choices of ##I_k## as in the definition of outer measure.
Thanks Math_QED ... appreciate your help ...

Still reflecting on what you have written ...

Peter

What is the outer measure of a closed interval?

The outer measure of a closed interval is the length of the interval. It is the distance between the two endpoints of the interval.

How is the outer measure of a closed interval calculated?

The outer measure of a closed interval can be calculated by subtracting the lower endpoint from the upper endpoint. This gives the length of the interval.

What is Result 2.14 in Axler's book?

Result 2.14 in Axler's book is a theorem that states that the outer measure of a closed interval is equal to its length. This result is important in understanding the concept of outer measure and its applications in measure theory.

What is the significance of the outer measure of a closed interval?

The outer measure of a closed interval is significant because it is a fundamental concept in measure theory. It allows us to define a measure on more complex sets by approximating them with simpler sets, such as closed intervals.

How is the outer measure of a closed interval related to Lebesgue measure?

The outer measure of a closed interval is a special case of Lebesgue measure, which is a more general concept in measure theory. Lebesgue measure extends the concept of outer measure to more complex sets, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of measure theory.