Outlet adapter to mimic a car battery to power 12V devices

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a 12vDC wall adapter to power an RGB LED light for a car indoors. It is advised to avoid wiring the adapter directly to the light and to use the provided connector instead. It is also important to ensure that the adapter can output enough power for the light.
DagmaarUlereich
Sorry if this is a very simple question but i have been googling and looking around for a straight anwser but can seem to find a solid answere or draw a solid conclusion from information I've reached. So

I have a rgb led light for a car, the box says input 12vDC.
if I wanted to set these up indoors could I take the entire wire set up photo attached
( includes on off switch, a fuse, input leads and a male coupler that fits into the female coupling of the light controller)
and simply replace it with a 12vDc wall adapter with the appropriate sized coupler?

Also would it be possible or smarter/better to use any 12vDc wall adapter of the appropriate amperage & polarity and remove the coupler and just wire the adapter straight to the Power imput leads?

If either idea is suitable then what should the amperage and polarity of the wall adapter be?
Thank you for letting me post such a question.
And thanks to anyone who chimes in :)

Attachments

• 16824329351372845485629935715409.jpg
    16824329351372845485629935715409.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 60
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

DagmaarUlereich said:
Also would it be possible or smarter/better to use any 12vDc wall adapter of the appropriate amperage & polarity and remove the coupler and just wire the adapter straight to the Power imput leads?
Avoid wiring the 12VDC adapter directly to the light. It is easier to identify problems if you can unplug the circuit to test it. The warranty would be void if you wired it without the provided connector.

DagmaarUlereich said:
If either idea is suitable then what should the amperage and polarity of the wall adapter be?
Without more information on current requirement, I would suggest that the adaptor be rated for the same current as the fuse provided.

Likes hutchphd and DagmaarUlereich
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.Avoid wiring the 12VDC adapter directly to the light. It is easier to identify problems if you can unplug the circuit to test it. The warranty would be void if you wired it without the provided connector.Without more information on current requirement, I would suggest that the adaptor be rated for the same current as the fuse provided.
Thank you very much for responding.
after reading this i Kinda have the strong urge to face palm myself for even asking, lolbvs I have a big doubts in my own working sense of electronics, so I hope to get over it soon as I gain more experience.
Thanks again !

DagmaarUlereich said:
I have a big doubts in my own working sense of electronics, so I hope to get over it soon as I gain more experience.
Stay away from mains voltage AC. You do not need to experience that.

Likes russ_watters and DagmaarUlereich
Roger, copy that!

Likes berkeman
I've done this with a big battery and it worked fine. You can go to an auto store and get the reverse socket to plug your light into.

The big question is how much power can your wall adapter output, and is it enough for your light? A cigarette lighter can usually output 150 watts, (12.5 amps at 12 volts) which is a lot more than most wall warts can deliver. As Baluncore says above, check what your light will actually draw and get something a bit bigger.

Likes phinds
Baluncore said:
Without more information on current requirement, I would suggest that the adaptor be rated for the same current as the fuse provided.
Same or greater, not closest match.

Likes DagmaarUlereich, Algr and phinds

1. How does an outlet adapter mimic a car battery?

An outlet adapter mimics a car battery by converting the AC power from a standard outlet into DC power, which is what a car battery provides. This allows 12V devices, such as car chargers, to be powered using a standard outlet.

2. Can any outlet adapter be used to mimic a car battery?

No, not all outlet adapters are designed to mimic a car battery. It is important to select an adapter that specifically states it can provide 12V DC power, as well as checking the wattage and amperage ratings to ensure it can handle the power requirements of your devices.

3. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an outlet adapter to mimic a car battery?

Yes, it is important to use caution when using an outlet adapter to mimic a car battery. Make sure the adapter is compatible with your devices and do not overload it with too many devices at once. It is also important to use the adapter in a well-ventilated area and to unplug it when not in use.

4. Can an outlet adapter mimic a car battery for an extended period of time?

Yes, an outlet adapter can mimic a car battery for an extended period of time, as long as it is used within its power limits and is not overheating. However, it is still recommended to use a car battery for longer trips or situations where a consistent power source is needed.

5. Are there any alternatives to using an outlet adapter to mimic a car battery?

Yes, there are other options for powering 12V devices without a car battery. Some portable power banks come with a 12V output, or you can purchase a standalone 12V power supply. However, an outlet adapter is a more cost-effective and convenient option for powering 12V devices in most situations.