Overcoming Lightning: Price Issue or Something Else?

• Thread starter Alpha2005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of not being able to overcome lightning in the modern age and the potential solutions or reasons for this. It mentions the difficulty in grounding buildings and the limitations of household wiring in handling the power of lightning. The conversation also touches on the use of surge protectors for appliances and the potential risk of lightning causing damage to homes.
Alpha2005
Hi, I was just very curious and sort of frustrated when this topic comes to my mind. How the heck we can't overcome lightning in such a modern age? You see when there's lightning, I cant:
1)On my com
2)Online
3)On the TV
4)Pick up the phone
5)everything related to electrical and electronics stuff

I was just wondering why? I always thought the guy (hmm what his name already? The scientist who uses the key and kite to draw lightning) has tell us how to take lightning to be earthed.

I don't think the solution hasnt been found. Large and tall building such as the tallest building in the world at my place now...they don't off their computer when lightning strike right? Well, that's obvious. If every office do so, the economy will be dead. So what's the problem?
Is it because:
Price issue? Is it too expensive to get the equipment use by those tall building?

If not please tell me why? why?
Please help.

Science news on Phys.org
Buildings are grounded. Houses are not to a point that they can handle lightning. Lightning is incredibly powerful... I mean we're talking about something with hundreds of millions of volts. Normal household wire is designed for up to 220V... not 100,000,000 volts.

Pengwuino said:
Buildings are grounded. Houses are not to a point that they can handle lightning. Lightning is incredibly powerful... I mean we're talking about something with hundreds of millions of volts. Normal household wire is designed for up to 220V... not 100,000,000 volts.

Okie...so does it mean tall building is designed for millions of volts? hmm...
So does it still mean it's expensive to have the equipment built for houses?

Most commercial buildings have steel girder construction, with the bottom girders deeply planted in the ground. Homes generally have concrete or stone foundations and wooden structural components which don't conduct.

However, I have a good surge protector on my desktop computer (and other important appliances) so I don't generally pull the plug unless the storm is really, really bad. With good surge protection, you shouldn't need to pull the plug - some high-end ones even come with insurance against damage, iirc.

A surge-protector is good for... well, surges, but it won't do any good if a lightning bolt blows your roof off and your computer gets rained on. :tongue:

1. What exactly is "overcoming lightning" and why is it important?

"Overcoming lightning" refers to finding ways to mitigate the damage and risks associated with lightning strikes. Lightning can cause property damage, power outages, and even injury or death. It is important to understand this natural phenomenon and find ways to protect against it for safety and economic reasons.

2. Is the price of implementing lightning protection systems the main barrier?

The cost of implementing lightning protection systems can be a significant barrier, but it is not the only factor. Other barriers can include lack of awareness or understanding of lightning risks, difficulty in finding skilled professionals to install and maintain systems, and competing priorities for funding.

3. Are there any other factors besides cost that contribute to the challenge of overcoming lightning?

Yes, there are several other factors that contribute to the challenge of overcoming lightning. These include geographical and climatic differences, as well as the need for different types of protection systems for different structures and industries. Additionally, advancements in technology and research are continually changing the landscape of lightning protection.

4. What are some current strategies for overcoming lightning?

Current strategies for overcoming lightning include installing lightning rods or air terminals on structures, using grounding systems to dissipate the electrical energy from a strike, and incorporating surge protection devices to prevent damage to electrical equipment. Other strategies include educating the public about lightning safety and conducting research to better understand and predict lightning behavior.

5. How can individuals and communities work towards overcoming lightning?

Individuals and communities can work towards overcoming lightning by taking steps to protect themselves and their property. This can include installing lightning protection systems, following safety protocols during thunderstorms, and being prepared for power outages. Communities can also invest in research and education initiatives to better understand and mitigate the risks associated with lightning.