Oxidation and reduction question

In summary, in the reaction 2mg + o2 ->2mgo, magnesium is oxidized by oxygen, with an oxidation number of +4 for 2mg and -2 for O2. In the resulting compound, MgO, magnesium has an oxidation number of +2 and oxygen has an oxidation number of -2. The oxidation numbers show that magnesium has lost electrons and oxygen has gained electrons in the reaction.
markosheehan
I am trying to work out which is oxidised and reduced in this reaction2mg + o2 ->2mgo

so the mg has a oxidation number of 2+ and the oxygen has a oxidation number of 3+. I am not sure what the oxidation numbers of magnesium and oxygen are in magnesium oxide as it does not work out and it is not possible going off my initial workings. Any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
I am trying to work out which is oxidised and reduced in this reaction2mg + o2 ->2mgo

so the mg has a oxidation number of 2+ and the oxygen has a oxidation number of 3+. I am not sure what the oxidation numbers of magnesium and oxygen are in magnesium oxide as it does not work out and it is not possible going off my initial workings. Any help?

Hi marko,

Oxygen has an oxidation number of -2.
MgO is neutral.
Magnesium is oxidized by the oxidizer Oxygen.

I like Serena said:
Hi marko,

Oxygen has an oxidation number of -2.
MgO is neutral.
Magnesium is oxidized by the oxidizer Oxygen.
02 has an O.N of 0
2mg has a O.N of +4
in 2mgo the O.N is 2(2) +2(-2)

so i am not sure how mg is loosing electrons.

markosheehan said:
02 has an O.N of 0
2mg has a O.N of +4
in 2mgo the O.N is 2(2) +2(-2)

so i am not sure how mg is loosing electrons.

$2 Mg$ is neutral.
It loses 2x2 electrons to yield $2 Mg^{2+}$.
$O_2$ gains 2x2 electrons.
Together they form $2 Mg^{2+}O^{2-}$.

1. What is oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation and reduction are chemical processes that involve the transfer of electrons between molecules. Oxidation is the loss of electrons, while reduction is the gain of electrons.

2. Why is oxidation and reduction important?

Oxidation and reduction are important because they play a crucial role in many biological and chemical reactions. They are necessary for the production of energy, the breakdown of nutrients, and the synthesis of important molecules in our bodies.

3. What is an oxidizing agent?

An oxidizing agent is a substance that causes another substance to undergo oxidation by accepting electrons from it. Examples of oxidizing agents include oxygen, chlorine, and hydrogen peroxide.

4. How is oxidation and reduction related to corrosion?

Oxidation and reduction are directly related to corrosion, which is the deterioration of a material due to chemical reactions with its environment. In this case, oxidation is the process of a metal losing electrons and becoming corroded, while reduction is the process of oxygen gaining electrons and causing corrosion.

5. Can oxidation and reduction be reversed?

Yes, oxidation and reduction can be reversed by using a reducing agent, which is a substance that donates electrons and causes reduction to occur. This can restore the original state of the molecules involved in the reaction.