Oxidation Numbers: Fe203+3CO to 2Fe+3CO2

In summary, oxidation and reduction can be determined by looking at the change in oxidation numbers of the elements involved. In the given equation, Fe gains electrons and is therefore reduced, while C loses electrons and is oxidized. It is important to note that while the valency of an element can be used as a guide, it is not always accurate in determining oxidation numbers, as seen in the example of carbon. Additionally, in compounds, oxygen almost always has an oxidation number of -2.
markosheehan
By using oxidation numbers can someone show me what is oxidised and reduced

Fe203+3co->2Fe+3co2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
By using oxidation numbers can someone show me what is oxidised and reduced

Fe203+3co->2Fe+3co2

Hi Marko,

Making the ion forms explicit, we have:
$$
{Fe^{3+}}_2{0^{2-}}_3+3C^{2+}O^{2-}\to 2Fe+3C^{4+}{O^{2-}}_2
$$
So $Fe$ gains electrons and as such it is reduced.
And $C$ loses electrons, meaning it is oxidized.

I like Serena said:
Hi Marko,

Making the ion forms explicit, we have:
$$
{Fe^{3+}}_2{0^{2-}}_3+3C^{2+}O^{2-}\to 2Fe+3C^{4+}{O^{2-}}_2
$$
So $Fe$ gains electrons and as such it is reduced.
And $C$ loses electrons, meaning it is oxidized.

thanks
I usually go to the periodic table and look at the elements valency and then i take this as the oxidation number. this is not always correct though?
for example carbon has a valency of 4 but in the above equation it is 2+.
so you go off the ones you know like oxygen is always -2 and the oxidation number of a compound must always equal zero.

markosheehan said:
thanks
I usually go to the periodic table and look at the elements valency and then i take this as the oxidation number. this is not always correct though?
for example carbon has a valency of 4 but in the above equation it is 2+.
so you go off the ones you know like oxygen is always -2 and the oxidation number of a compound must always equal zero.

Yes, in compounds oxygen is always -2.
The metals (that are oxidized) usually have more than one oxidation number, and the valency doesn't even have to be one of them (copper for example).

1. What is the oxidation state of Fe in Fe2O3?

The oxidation state of Fe in Fe2O3 is +3.

2. How does Fe2O3 react with CO to form Fe and CO2?

Fe2O3 reacts with CO in a redox reaction where Fe2O3 is reduced to Fe and CO is oxidized to CO2.

3. What is the overall change in oxidation numbers in the reaction Fe2O3 + 3CO → 2Fe + 3CO2?

The overall change in oxidation numbers in the reaction is 0, as the Fe in Fe2O3 has an oxidation state of +3 and in Fe it is also +3, while the CO in CO is +2 and in CO2 it is +4.

4. Is Fe2O3 a reducing agent or an oxidizing agent in this reaction?

Fe2O3 is a reducing agent in this reaction, as it causes the reduction of CO to CO2.

5. How is the oxidation state of Fe determined in this reaction?

The oxidation state of Fe is determined by counting the number of electrons that are either gained or lost by Fe in the reaction. In this case, Fe is reduced from +3 to 0, meaning it has gained 3 electrons, making its oxidation state +3.