Chiral Center Priority: Determining R and S Configurations Using CIP Rules

• Thread starter Destroxia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chiral
In summary, the conversation discusses the priority of substituents attached to a chiral center carbon, specifically an H, CH3, OH, and CH2CH2OH. The question is whether the OH takes priority over CH2CH2OH due to its direct connection to the carbon. The proposed solution suggests a clockwise priority of OH, CH2CH2OH, and CH3, resulting in an R configuration. However, the final decision on priority depends on the chosen convention, such as the C-I-P system.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Say you have a chiral center carbon, attached to it are a H, a CH3, an OH, and a CH2CH2OH. The H is pointing away from you, and in a clockwise direction it goes, CH3, OH, CH2CH2OH

My question is what is the priority of this? My main confusion is in the fact that since both the OH and CH2CH2OH have an OH in them, does the OH take priority since it is directly connected to the carbon? As in, do you just stop right there, and you know it has more priority?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I THINK it should be...

Priorities:
H: (4)
CH3: (3)
OH: (1)
CH2CH2OH: (2)

Therefore, it goes from OH, to CH2CH2OH, to CH3, which is a clockwise direction, therefore it is R ?

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:
R and S.
Then, one uses "C-I-P" detailed in the link.

1. What is a chiral center?

A chiral center is a carbon atom in an organic molecule that is attached to four different groups. This creates a three-dimensional structure that is non-superimposable on its mirror image, making it optically active.

2. How do chiral centers affect a molecule's properties?

Chiral centers can greatly impact a molecule's properties, such as its biological activity, reactivity, and polarity. This is because the arrangement of groups around the chiral center determines how the molecule interacts with other molecules.

3. How do you determine the priority of chiral centers?

The priority of chiral centers is determined by the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) system, which assigns a priority based on the atomic number of the groups attached to the chiral center. The group with the highest atomic number has the highest priority.

4. Can a molecule have multiple chiral centers?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple chiral centers. The number of chiral centers in a molecule is equal to the number of stereocenters, which are defined as atoms that can have different three-dimensional arrangements.

5. What is the significance of the priority of chiral centers in stereochemistry?

The priority of chiral centers is crucial in determining the overall stereochemistry of a molecule. It helps to predict the molecule's physical and chemical properties, as well as its reactions with other molecules. The priority also plays a role in the naming and classification of chiral compounds.