P.d. increases in a step up transformer

• Thread starter sachin123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary: Shannon once said, "No one understands communication better than a telegraph operator." Essentially, this quote means that the telegraph operator understands communication better than anyone else. They have to understand the different code words and symbols that are being used, and they have to be able to interpret them quickly and correctly. This is an important skill for anyone who needs to communicate quickly and accurately, such as a 911 operator or a military officer.
sachin123
just tell me how the p.d. increases in a step up transformer.
(Please don't use formulas for this.)
if we take a conductor of same length and thickness as the 1st one for the secondary coil,
the voltage doesn't increase.
but why does it,if we increase the length.
I mean,how can that affect it?
(Please don't use formulas for this,because i want to see how the formula is derived than the other way round)

and how does it satisfy the law of energy conservation?
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org

Remember that, as the potential difference increases, the current decreases.
Thus the power remains the same(minus loses in the transformation)

again:

if we take a conductor of same length and thickness as the 1st one for the secondary coil,
(Please don't use formulas for this,because i want to see how the formula is derived than the other way round)
Please tell me how(physically)the length of Secondary Coil affects emf??!??

sachin123 said:
again:

Please apply simple proportionality rather formulas.

The length and wire diameter don't determine the votlage. The number of turns do.
The ratio of turns is equal to the ratio of the voltages.

The length of the secondary winding does not determine secondary emf. Rather, the flux density and secondary number of turns does. The flux density is determined by the primary voltage source, the frequency, the core area, and the primary no. of turns. This flux then couples the secondary winding. The secondary no. of turns (encirclements of the flux) and the magnitude of the flux density, determines the secondary emf.

Does this help?

Claude

Related to P.d. increases in a step up transformer

What is a step up transformer and how does it work?

A step up transformer is an electrical device that increases the voltage of an alternating current (AC). It works by using two or more coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary coils, that are wrapped around a common iron core. When an alternating current is passed through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a higher voltage in the secondary coil.

What is P.d. and how does it relate to step up transformers?

P.d. stands for potential difference, also known as voltage. In a step up transformer, the P.d. increases from the primary coil to the secondary coil due to the ratio of the number of turns in each coil. This increase in voltage allows for efficient transmission of electricity over long distances.

What factors affect the increase in P.d. in a step up transformer?

The increase in P.d. in a step up transformer is affected by the ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the frequency of the alternating current, and the properties of the core material. The more turns in the secondary coil, the greater the increase in voltage.

What are the main applications of step up transformers?

Step up transformers are commonly used in electricity distribution systems to increase the voltage of electricity for efficient transmission over long distances. They are also used in power plants to step up the voltage of electricity generated by turbines. Additionally, step up transformers are used in electronic devices, such as televisions and computers, to convert low voltage to higher voltage for proper functioning.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a step up transformer?

The main advantage of using a step up transformer is its ability to efficiently increase the voltage of electricity, allowing for long distance transmission and reduced power loss. However, a disadvantage is that step up transformers can be expensive to manufacture and maintain, and can also be prone to overheating and electrical faults if not properly managed.