P&S Exercise 3.4 Majorana Fermions Derivative of ##\chi##

diracsgrandgrandson
Homework Statement
Peskin and Schroeder Exercise 3.4 Majorana Fermions part b wants me to show that the variation of the action ##S## with respect to ##\chi^\dagger## gives the Majorana equation.
Relevant Equations
The action is given by: $$S = \int d^4 x \left[ \chi^\dagger i \sigma \cdot \partial \chi + \frac{im}{2} \left( \chi^T \sigma^2 \chi - \chi^\dagger \sigma^2 \chi^* \right) \right]$$

The Majorana equation is $$i \bar{\sigma} \cdot \partial \chi - im \sigma^2 \chi^* = 0$$
I am stuck at the final part where one is supposed to show that the derivative of the second term of the action gives the mass term in the Majorana equation. For $$\chi^T\sigma^2\chi = -(\chi^\dagger\sigma^2\chi^*)^*$$ we get $$\frac{\delta}{\delta\chi^\dagger}(\chi^\dagger\sigma^2\chi^*)^*$$ which is supposed to give $$\sigma^2\chi^*.$$ I don't see how. Suppose $$f(\chi) = \chi^*,$$ and now $$\frac{d}{d\chi}f(\chi) = \frac{d\chi^*}{d\chi}$$ which would be zero due to the field and its complex conjugate being zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
diracsgrandgrandson said:
I am stuck at the final part where one is supposed to show that the derivative of the second term of the action gives the mass term in the Majorana equation.
You can get the Majorana equation by varying ##S## with respect to ##\chi_1^*## and ##\chi_2^*##.

Note that ##\chi^T \sigma^2 \chi## does not contain either ##\chi_1^*## or ##\chi_2^*##.
So, this expression in the Lagrangian will not contribute when doing the variation with respect to ##\chi_1^*## and ##\chi_2^*##.

Write out the expression ##\chi^\dagger \sigma^2 \chi^*## explicitly in terms of ##\chi_1^*## and ##\chi_2^*##. Then you can look at its variation with respect to ##\chi_1^*## and ##\chi_2^*##.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Write out the expression χ†σ2χ∗ explicitly in terms of χ1∗ and χ2∗. Then you can look at its variation with respect to χ1∗ and χ2∗.
Doesn't that give zero?

$$
\begin{align*}
\chi^\dagger \sigma^2 \chi^* &=
\begin{pmatrix}
\chi_1^* & \chi_2^*
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & -i \\
i & 0
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
\chi_1^* \\
\chi_2^*
\end{pmatrix} \\
&= \begin{pmatrix}
\chi_1^* & \chi_2^*
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
- i \chi_2^* \\
i \chi_1^*
\end{pmatrix} \\
&= i (-\chi^*_1\chi^*_2+\chi^*_2\chi_1^*)
\end{align*}
$$

which gives zero for each derivative.

According to the problem statement in the textbook, ##\chi_1## and ##\chi_2## are to be treated as anticommuting quantities (Grassmann numbers) with the following properties

##\chi_1 \chi_2## = -##\chi_2 \chi_1 \,\,## and ##\,\, (\chi_1 \chi_2)^* \equiv \chi_2^* \chi_1^* = - \chi_1^* \chi_2^*##

Likes PhDeezNutz and diracsgrandgrandson
Ahh I see, that clarifies it, thank you. I find the problem is formulated in a very confusing way, at least for a beginner like me :)

Likes PhDeezNutz
Yes, it's a difficult subject. I'm also a beginner. I've been a beginner for years. :oldsmile:

Likes diracsgrandgrandson, PhDeezNutz and haushofer

1. What are Majorana fermions?

Majorana fermions are a special type of fermion that is its own antiparticle. This means that a Majorana fermion is identical to its antiparticle, unlike other fermions which have distinct antiparticles. Majorana fermions have unique properties that make them of interest in various areas of physics, including quantum computing and particle physics.

2. What is the derivative of ##\chi## with respect to a given variable?

The derivative of ##\chi## with respect to a given variable is a mathematical operation that calculates how ##\chi## changes as that variable changes. The derivative provides information about the rate of change of ##\chi## with respect to the variable and is a fundamental concept in calculus and mathematical analysis.

3. How are Majorana fermions different from other types of fermions?

Majorana fermions differ from other types of fermions in that they are their own antiparticles. This unique property has important implications for their behavior and interactions with other particles. Majorana fermions also have distinct symmetries and properties that set them apart from other fermions.

4. What is the significance of Majorana fermions in physics?

Majorana fermions have significant implications for various areas of physics, including quantum computing, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. Their unique properties make them of interest for potential applications in quantum information processing and for studying fundamental aspects of particle physics.

5. How are Majorana fermions related to the derivative of ##\chi##?

The relationship between Majorana fermions and the derivative of ##\chi## may involve specific mathematical or physical contexts where Majorana fermions play a role in the behavior of ##\chi##. Understanding this relationship may provide insights into the behavior of Majorana fermions in the context of the derivative of ##\chi## and its implications for the system under study.