P vs NP (SubSet Sum Problem)

• Thread starter LolipopDragon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    P vs np Sum
In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's passion for designing algorithms, specifically data compression algorithms. They shared their approach to solving problems by finding a different one to work on and how they stumbled upon the P vs NP problem. They then talked about their algorithm for the Subset Sum problem, generating a million random numbers and testing their algorithm, and the limitations of using an upper bound of a million. They also mentioned the importance of finding a polynomial time algorithm and the possibility of using multiple arrays to handle larger numbers. In the end, they questioned if they should continue pursuing their algorithm and were given suggestions for further reading.
LolipopDragon
Hello,

My hobby is to design algorithms especially data compression algorithms, but when I can't find a solution to my problems I usually go find myself a different problem to solve because it helps me think differently or maybe it lights a bulb about the original problem …today I stumbled on the P vs NP problem for the first time, 5 minutes reading through Wikipedia I found the Subset Sum problem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subset_sum_problem which Wikipedia mentions is an important problem and is NP Complete…. So I decided to try and write an algorithm that finds the elements of any set of random integers that sum up to any random number S Fast, first what I did is generate an array of one million random numbers between one and one million, then told the computer to generate a random number also between one and one million, then applied my algorithm which finds elements in the array that sum to the random number S in seconds. The Bigger the set of RANDOM numbers the easier to find a solution!

So the answer was too simple and easy, my question is what am I missing/doing wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, where's your proof that your algorithm runs in polynomial time?
Secondly, a million is a very small number. Efficient algorithms are known for small N. Try your algorithm with, say, 2 raised to the power of a million. I doubt that your algorithm will terminate.
Thirdly, you said you generated a million numbers, but with a upper bound of a million on each number. Well, there's a very high probability that you generated the majority of numbers from 1 to 1,000,000. So yeah, obviously any algorithm should be fast. Try again but remove the million upper limit.

Edit: This
The Bigger the set of RANDOM numbers the easier to find a solution!
indicates that it's the third point that's making it easy for you.

Last edited:
From the Wikipedia article:

"For the case that each xi is positive and bounded by a fixed constant C, Pisinger found a linear time algorithm having time complexity O(NC)."

Samy_A said:
From the Wikipedia article:

"For the case that each xi is positive and bounded by a fixed constant C, Pisinger found a linear time algorithm having time complexity O(NC)."
Does this mean i should not pursue this any longer?
pwsnafu said:
So, where's your proof that your algorithm runs in polynomial time?
Secondly, a million is a very small number. Efficient algorithms are known for small N. Try your algorithm with, say, 2 raised to the power of a million. I doubt that your algorithm will terminate.
Thirdly, you said you generated a million numbers, but with a upper bound of a million on each number. Well, there's a very high probability that you generated the majority of numbers from 1 to 1,000,000. So yeah, obviously any algorithm should be fast. Try again but remove the million upper limit.

Edit: This

indicates that it's the third point that's making it easy for you.

thanks for your input, i will remove the upper bounds and test again, one thing tho,

I don’t know where/how you came up with that number (2 power million (around 300000 zeros of numbers to store!)) but I don’t think any pc or any ram can handle even storing such amount of number to try and perform operations on it, the maximum array size in my programming language is 16 million, I could use multiple arrays and cycle through them but even then the number wouldn’t come close to 2 power million. anyway i think I've cleared my head and its time to head back to data compression...

Edit: yes, you are correct, after removing the upper limits the algorithm did not yield the desired results...

Last edited:
LolipopDragon said:
I don't know your algorithm. Just to mention: you are not allowed to use random guesses.

LolipopDragon said:
Pisinger's algorithm, published in 1995, does seem to address the case you treated. It's an interesting paper by the way, if you like this subject you may like his paper.

1. What is the P vs NP problem?

The P vs NP (Polynomial vs Non-deterministic Polynomial) problem is a fundamental question in computer science that asks whether every problem that can be quickly verified by a computer can also be solved quickly by a computer.

2. What is the Subset Sum problem?

The Subset Sum problem is a specific instance of the P vs NP problem that asks whether, given a set of positive integers and a target sum, there exists a subset of the integers that adds up to the target sum.

3. Why is the Subset Sum problem important?

The Subset Sum problem is important because it is an example of an NP-complete problem, meaning that it is among the hardest problems in the class of NP problems. If the Subset Sum problem can be solved efficiently, then all other NP problems can also be solved efficiently, resolving the P vs NP problem.

4. How is the Subset Sum problem typically approached?

The most common approach to solving the Subset Sum problem is using dynamic programming, which involves breaking down the problem into smaller subproblems and using the solutions to those subproblems to solve the larger problem.

5. Is there a known solution to the P vs NP problem?

No, as of now, there is no known solution to the P vs NP problem. It remains one of the most challenging and unsolved problems in computer science, and its resolution would have significant implications for the field.