Pair Production QED: Finding a Study Guide

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of pair production in quantum electrodynamics and the difficulty in understanding it using the QFT Schwartz book. The person is seeking recommendations for a book that would be more suitable for their level.
Ark236

Homework Statement

In a few more months I have to present a report about pair production in quantum electrodynamics, using Feynman diagrams.

I have been using the QFT Schwartz book, I find it a bit advanced for my level, could someone recommend me a book to study this phenomenon?.

Thank you very much

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Ark236 said:
I have been using the QFT Schwartz book, I find it a bit advanced for my level.
It would help to know what your level actually is.

It's my first quantum field theory course.

Are we going to have to sloooooooowly tease this out of you bit...by bit...by bit?

Of course this is your first quantum theory course. You've already told us Schwartz is too advanced for you, and that is typically a first course book. What courses have you had?

1. What is pair production in quantum electrodynamics (QED)?

Pair production in QED is a phenomenon where a high-energy photon interacts with a nucleus and creates an electron-positron pair. This process is governed by the principles of quantum mechanics and is an important aspect of particle physics.

2. How does pair production relate to QED?

Pair production is a fundamental aspect of QED, which is the theory that describes the interactions between photons and charged particles. It is one of the key processes that QED seeks to explain and is crucial for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. What is the role of pair production in the study of particle physics?

Pair production plays a significant role in particle physics as it helps scientists understand the fundamental properties of matter and the interactions between particles. It also has practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and radiation therapy.

4. What are some examples of pair production in real-world applications?

One example of pair production in real-world applications is in medical imaging, where positron emission tomography (PET) scans use the annihilation of electron-positron pairs to produce images of the body's internal structures. Pair production also plays a role in radiation therapy, where high-energy photons are used to destroy cancer cells.

5. Where can I find a study guide for pair production in QED?

There are many resources available online for studying pair production in QED, including textbooks, lecture notes, and study guides. You can also consult with your physics professor or visit your university's library for additional resources.