Self-Study QFT: Prerequisites for Feynman Diagrams, QED & More

In summary: Are you studying physics at university?Yes, I am trying to self study QM from Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics book. What are the sub topics in QM that are required to understand QFT at the level of Feynman Diagrams, QED processes etc. Basically Part 1 of Peskin and Schroeder textbook.
quantumdarkmatter
Summary:: I want to study QFT 1 in the upcoming semester, so what are the prerequisites to study it. By QFT 1 I mean Classical field theory, Canonical Quantization, Feynman Diagrams, and QED.

I am trying to self study QM from Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics book. What are the sub topics in QM that are required to understand QFT at the level of Feynman Diagrams, QED processes etc. basically Part 1 of Peskin and Schroeder textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it better to do QFT 1 by self studying Quantum and Classical mechanics or wait for the formal courses which will happen in next year as two semester course and then take QFT the following year.

Or I could study relativistic formulation of electrodynamics now and extend this study to study General Relativity in a short break I would have in winter.

quantumdarkmatter said:
Is it better to do QFT 1 by self studying Quantum and Classical mechanics or wait for the formal courses which will happen in next year as two semester course and then take QFT the following year.

Or I could study relativistic formulation of electrodynamics now and extend this study to study General Relativity in a short break I would have in winter.
Are you studying physics at university?

I would not recommend study Peskin's book directly. It may be too difficult.

You could check this website, https://physics.ac/how-to-learn-qft/ .

It lists the basic prerequisites and recommend different books.

PeroK said:
Are you studying physics at university?
Yeah

quantumdarkmatter said:
I am trying to self study QM from Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics book. What are the sub topics in QM that are required to understand QFT at the level of Feynman Diagrams, QED processes etc. basically Part 1 of Peskin and Schroeder textbook.
From Griffiths you need to know the axioms of quantum mechanics (Hilbert space, state vector, Schroedinger equation, commutation relations, observables and measurement), and be comfortable with both Schroedinger and Heisenberg pictures of time evolution.

Some approaches to QFT at an easier level than Peskin and Schroeder are Mandl and Shaw, and non-relativistic QFT from the view of condensed matter physics, which is just a language for non-relativistic quantum mechanics of many identical particles. QFT for the gifted amateur has gotten good reviews from many, although I haven't read it.

1. What is the purpose of self-study QFT?

Self-study QFT, or self-study quantum field theory, is a way for individuals to learn the fundamentals of quantum field theory on their own. It allows for a more flexible and personalized learning experience, as well as the opportunity to delve deeper into specific topics of interest.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying QFT?

The main prerequisites for studying QFT include a strong background in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. A solid understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and complex analysis is also necessary.

3. How do Feynman diagrams relate to QFT?

Feynman diagrams are a visual representation of the mathematical calculations involved in QFT. They are used to depict the interactions between particles and can help simplify complex calculations.

4. What is QED and how does it relate to QFT?

QED, or quantum electrodynamics, is a specific field of study within QFT that focuses on the interactions between particles and electromagnetic fields. It is often considered the most successful and well-tested theory in physics, and is used to explain phenomena such as light and electricity.

5. What are some resources for self-study QFT?

There are many resources available for self-study QFT, including textbooks, online lectures and courses, and problem sets. Some popular textbooks include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee. Online resources include MIT's OpenCourseWare and the Perimeter Institute's "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" course. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where individuals can discuss and ask questions about QFT.