Parabola vs Hyperbola, why does a Hyperbola have two foci/curves?

In summary, the eccentricity, e, of a conic section determines its shape and the number of foci and directrices it has. When e=1, we have a parabola with one focus and one directrix. As e increases, the shape becomes more elongated and we get a hyperbola with two foci and two directrices. The concept of a cone helps to visualize the different shapes, as the eccentricity represents the angle of the intersecting plane. However, the equations of these conic sections can also be understood without the use of a cone.
am4th
So I read a description saying something along the lines of, a Parabola does have a 2nd focus and directrix, but that they stretch off into infinity, whereas for the hyperbola the 2nd focus comes back round..?

Anyway, I'm trying to picture it and understand in relation to the eccentricity, e. What is it about e=1 (value for a parabola), that determines there is only one focus, directrix and curve as opposed to a hyperbola, e>1, that means there are two foci, directrices and curves.?

I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious..

Cheers!

Edit:

So I think I need to clarify my question a bit. My understanding is that a circle, ellipse, parabola and hyperbola are all specific cases of the same formula. The ratio between the the radius and the distance to the 'directrix' is called the eccentricity. When e =1, we have a parabola. When e>1 then we have a hyperbola. What I don't understand is, what happens when e>1 to lend the hyperbola the property of having two foci and two directrices, when at e=1 we had a parabola with only 1 focus and 1 directrix.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is always best to think of those as conic sections. In the pictures here and here, you can see how the center of a circle is torn into two which walk away from each other. First the ellipse, then the parabola and finally the hyperbola when it comes back from infinity and shows up on the other end of the double cone.

Likes mfb
fresh_42 said:
It is always best to think of those as conic sections. In the pictures here and here, you can see how the center of a circle is torn into two which walk away from each other. First the ellipse, then the parabola and finally the hyperbola when it comes back from infinity and shows up on the other end of the double cone.

Hey, thanks. Yes, it's much easier to understand from that perspective; however, I'm keen to understand it in relation to eccentricity. Sorry I didn't make this clear in the original post.

In my mind, whilst they can have a corresponding cone, a parabola/hyperbola can exist without a cone. The way I see it, right now I'm not studying the equation of a cone, I'm learning about equations of lines that can be described in the same way as the intersection of a plane and a cone. (I think that is correct..?)

I hope that makes sense.

am4th said:
Hey, thanks. Yes, it's much easier to understand from that perspective; however, I'm keen to understand it in relation to eccentricity. Sorry I didn't make this clear in the original post.

In my mind, whilst they can have a corresponding cone, a parabola/hyperbola can exist without a cone. The way I see it, right now I'm not studying the equation of a cone, I'm learning about equations of lines that can be described in the same way as the intersection of a plane and a cone. (I think that is correct..?)

I hope that makes sense.
You are correct. However you need to look at the cone as two cones meeting at at point. Plane, forming circle, ellipse, and parabola, intersecting cone crosses only one part. Hyperbola - plane crosses both parts.

Likes HallsofIvy

1. What is a parabola and how is it different from a hyperbola?

A parabola is a type of conic section that is created when a plane intersects a cone at an angle parallel to the side of the cone. It is a symmetrical curve with one focus point. On the other hand, a hyperbola is also a conic section that is created when a plane intersects a cone at an angle that is not parallel to the side of the cone. It is a symmetrical curve with two focus points.

2. How are the equations for a parabola and a hyperbola different?

The general equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. On the other hand, the general equation for a hyperbola is x^2 / a^2 - y^2 / b^2 = 1, where a and b are constants. As you can see, the equations have different terms and coefficients, which reflect the different shapes of the curves.

3. Why does a hyperbola have two focus points?

A hyperbola has two focus points because it is created by the intersection of a plane and a cone at an angle that is not parallel to the side of the cone. This results in two distinct curves that are symmetrical to each other and have two focus points.

4. How do the foci of a hyperbola affect its shape?

The foci of a hyperbola play a crucial role in determining its shape. The distance between the foci, called the focal length, is a constant value for a given hyperbola. As the focal length increases, the hyperbola becomes wider and flatter. As the focal length decreases, the hyperbola becomes narrower and more elongated.

5. Can a parabola ever have two focus points like a hyperbola?

No, a parabola can never have two focus points like a hyperbola. A parabola is created by the intersection of a plane and a cone at an angle parallel to the side of the cone, resulting in a single focus point. This is a defining characteristic of a parabola and cannot be changed.