Solving Cubic Equations using Origami

• MHB
  • Thread starter greenglasses
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of origami in solving mathematical problems, specifically cubic equations. The process involves creating a parabola using a focus and directrix, and then using Axiom 6 of Origami-Folding to fold a line that places specific points onto specific lines. This process can be used to solve cubic equations, but the equations involved may be confusing. The conversation also mentions additional resources for learning about origami and its applications in mathematics.
greenglasses
I have to write a research paper on a mathematical topic for my class; I chose the above topic.

I understand that a parabola can be formed using a focus and directrix, both created by origami folds, and that Axiom 6 of Origami-Folding (Given two points p1 and p2 and two lines l1 and l2, there is a fold that places p1 onto l1 and p2 onto l2) can be used to solve a cubic equation. But some of this explanation of why confuses me:

"Now, let's solve the cubic equation x^3+ax^2+bx+c=0 with origami. Let two points P1 and P2 have the coordinates (a,1) and (c,b), respectively. Also let two lines L1 and L2 have the equations y+1=0 and x+c=0, respectively. Fold a line placing P1 onto L1 and placing P2 onto L2, and the slope of the crease is the solution of x^3+ax^2+bx+c=0.

I will explain why. Let p1 be a parabola having the focus P1 and the directrix L1. Since the crease is not parallel to the y-axis, we can let the crease have the equation y=tx+u. Let the crease be tangent to p1 at (x1,y1), and (x1-a)^2=4y1. Because the crease has the equation (x1-a)(x-x1)=2(y-y1), we get t=(x1-a)/2 and u=y1-x1(x1-a)/2. From these equations, we get u=-t2-at."

Specifically, I do not understand where the equations (x1-a)^2=4y1 and (x1-a)(x-x1)=2(y-y1) are coming from and w hat they mean.

I would greatly appreciate someone helping to explain.

[this explanation comes from K's Origami : Origami Construction if you want a look at the entire thing]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I found a reference that describes how origami is used in a variety of computational problems. In particular, the classic trisecting an angle and doubling the cube from ancient Greece which are based on cubic equations.

https://plus.maths.org/content/power-origami

and to pique your origami interest further there is the PBS documentary Between the Folds that shows how far Origami has come as an art and as an engineering tool:

There are many other resources on Origami as books and videos from Robert Lang and Eric DeMaine

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. How does origami help in solving cubic equations?

Origami is a form of paper folding that involves following precise instructions to create intricate shapes. In the context of solving cubic equations, origami can be used to create visual representations of the equations, making it easier to understand and solve them.

2. What materials do I need to solve cubic equations using origami?

All you need is some paper and a willingness to learn! You can use any kind of paper, such as printer paper or origami paper, as long as it is square-shaped.

3. Can I use origami to solve any type of cubic equation?

Yes, origami can be used to solve any type of cubic equation. However, it is most commonly used for solving equations with real solutions, as opposed to complex solutions.

4. Is it difficult to learn how to solve cubic equations using origami?

While origami may seem intimidating at first, it is not difficult to learn the basic folds and techniques needed to solve cubic equations. With practice, you can become proficient in using origami to solve equations.

5. Are there any benefits to solving cubic equations using origami?

Yes, there are several benefits to using origami in solving cubic equations. It can help improve spatial reasoning skills, enhance problem-solving abilities, and make the process of solving equations more enjoyable and engaging.